C Tate

Default A tables question!

Is it possible to make my tables appear that they have got ROUNDED corners
instead of square ones? This is quite a nice looking effect which I don't
think is possible in Word! But maybe someone knows better!

Jay Freedman

C Tate wrote:
Is it possible to make my tables appear that they have got ROUNDED
corners instead of square ones? This is quite a nice looking effect
which I don't think is possible in Word! But maybe someone knows
better!

You can't do it with the Borders and Shading feature. You could use the
AutoShape tool on the Drawing toolbar; the Basic Shapes category includes a
rounded rectangle. Draw the rectangle a bit wider than the table.
Right-click it and select Order Send Behind Text. Turn off the borders of
the table itself in the Format Borders & Shading dialog.

If the table grows longer, you'll have to drag the bottom edge of the
rectangle down.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Klaus Linke

If the table grows longer, you'll have to drag the bottom edge of the
rectangle down.

You could probably set it to AutoFit to content? Don't know how it's really
called in English: The last setting on the next-to-last tab...

Regards,
Klaus

Jay Freedman

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:30:23 +0200, "Klaus Linke"
wrote:

If the table grows longer, you'll have to drag the bottom edge of the
rectangle down.

You could probably set it to AutoFit to content? Don't know how it's really
called in English: The last setting on the next-to-last tab...

Regards,
Klaus

Aha! That point led me to discover a second way...

If you use the method I described before (insert the table first, then
draw the AutoShape rectangle and set it behind text), the Text Box tab
of the Format AutoShape dialog is grayed out -- because the AutoShape
doesn't contain any text.

Instead, insert the AutoShape rectangle first. Right-click it and
select Add Text. Insert the table inside the rectangle. Now go to
Format AutoShape, and on the Text Box tab check "Resize AutoShape to
fit text". That will make the rectangle grow as the table does.

The slight drawback is that you can't make the AutoShape's top and
bottom coincide with the table's top and bottom. Word wants the
corners of the table to point to the centers of the shape's rounded
corners, which causes a fair amount of empty space above and below the
table. You can adjust this space somewhat by dragging the yellow
handle near the shape's upper left corner to make the rounding radius
smaller. You probably also want to format the paragraph mark below the
bottom of the table to be 1 pt.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman