Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CarisaJo CarisaJo is offline

Default Splitting cells within a specific label and applying it to all lab

Hello, I need to print labels (not mailing). I currently have 4 rows of
information in 3 columns. I would love to split the cells so that my
information would format in unison - is there a way to do this within a
mailmerge. I can create a custom label, and format the first one perfectly -
but each time I try to run the "update label" command, the first label
formatting is not carried through the rest of the document. Is there
something that I am doing wrong? Or is this not a valid option in Word 2007.
Thanks to anyone that can help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In what way is the formatting not being replicated? An alternative would be
to use copy and paste to copy the formatted text from the first label to the
other labels.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"CarisaJo" wrote in message
Hello, I need to print labels (not mailing). I currently have 4 rows of
information in 3 columns. I would love to split the cells so that my
information would format in unison - is there a way to do this within a
mailmerge. I can create a custom label, and format the first one
perfectly -
but each time I try to run the "update label" command, the first label
formatting is not carried through the rest of the document. Is there
something that I am doing wrong? Or is this not a valid option in Word
2007.
Thanks to anyone that can help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The function to propagate a label will not carry a split cell as part of the
formatting. Create a second document with the same table. You could start by
splitting all the cells in this table. Add the content of the left side of
the first cell and propagate that left side to all the labels before
changing the document type to letter, then delete the right hand side
content of all the split cells and copy the right hand content of the first
cell to all the empty cells before running your merge.

CarisaJo wrote:
Hello, I need to print labels (not mailing). I currently have 4
rows of information in 3 columns. I would love to split the cells so
that my information would format in unison - is there a way to do
this within a mailmerge. I can create a custom label, and format the
first one perfectly - but each time I try to run the "update label"
command, the first label formatting is not carried through the rest
of the document. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Or is
this not a valid option in Word 2007. Thanks to anyone that can help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CarisaJo CarisaJo is offline

Default Splitting cells within a specific label and applying it to all

Hello,
Thank you so much for your quick response. I have tried the copy & paste
and to no avail. It shows the split cell formatting in the second label
across, but again when I try to use the 'update label' action, only the upper
right cell is populated.
Thanks!

"CarisaJo" wrote in message
Hello, I need to print labels (not mailing). I currently have 4 rows of
information in 3 columns. I would love to split the cells so that my
information would format in unison - is there a way to do this within a
mailmerge. I can create a custom label, and format the first one
perfectly -
but each time I try to run the "update label" command, the first label
formatting is not carried through the rest of the document. Is there
something that I am doing wrong? Or is this not a valid option in Word
2007.
Thanks to anyone that can help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CarisaJo CarisaJo is offline

Hello there,

Thank you so much for your quick response. I have just a couple of
questions. When you state 'create a second doc' you mean another label mail
merge doc?, and when you state 'splitting the cells in this table" so go into
each label and format it? I cannot use the 'split cell' action when using
the select all.
Thanks!

CarisaJo wrote:
Hello, I need to print labels (not mailing). I currently have 4
rows of information in 3 columns. I would love to split the cells so
that my information would format in unison - is there a way to do
this within a mailmerge. I can create a custom label, and format the
first one perfectly - but each time I try to run the "update label"
command, the first label formatting is not carried through the rest
of the document. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Or is
this not a valid option in Word 2007. Thanks to anyone that can help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You would have to copy it to all of the labels on the sheet.

Alternatively, use a directory type mailmerge main document that is
formatted into three column, the dimensions of which match your labels and
copy and paste the label from the you label type main document into the
first column of this new document. Then execute the merge to a new
document.

--

"CarisaJo" wrote in message
Hello, I need to print labels (not mailing). I currently have 4 rows
of
information in 3 columns. I would love to split the cells so that my
information would format in unison - is there a way to do this within a
mailmerge. I can create a custom label, and format the first one
perfectly -
but each time I try to run the "update label" command, the first label
formatting is not carried through the rest of the document. Is there
something that I am doing wrong? Or is this not a valid option in Word
2007.
Thanks to anyone that can help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The second document was merely for convenience when copying the cell
content. You would need to split each cell in the new document, or simply
setup a table (or custom label format) with the appropriate number of cells
to start with.

CarisaJo wrote:
Hello, I need to print labels (not mailing). I currently have 4
rows of information in 3 columns. I would love to split the cells
so that my information would format in unison - is there a way to do
this within a mailmerge. I can create a custom label, and format
the first one perfectly - but each time I try to run the "update
label" command, the first label formatting is not carried through
the rest of the document. Is there something that I am doing
wrong? Or is this not a valid option in Word 2007. Thanks to
anyone that can help!

How do I maintain table borders when splitting cells in Word? Gail O Tables 0 March 13th 07 04:04 PM
Merging and re-splitting cells fthynne Tables 0 July 5th 06 04:03 PM
Splitting Cells GentleDopyPoo Tables 1 June 2nd 05 04:14 AM
Splitting cells hmilligan Tables 1 May 11th 05 01:20 AM
Is there a bug when splitting cells in a Word Table? Johnc0910 Tables 0 December 20th 04 06:15 PM