Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PGirt

Default No Import and Export command under the File menu

In Versions 2003, how do install the "import and export" command in the FILE
menu in Word and Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Have you tried using the Insert and Save As functions?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"PGirt" wrote in message
In Versions 2003, how do install the "import and export" command in the
FILE
menu in Word and Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PGirt

Thanks for your reply. I have the FILE "SAVE AS" command, but no insert or
export under the file menu. In version 2002, I had that command. I need the
command to export a CSV file into my calendar in Outlook.

"PGirt" wrote in message
In Versions 2003, how do install the "import and export" command in the
FILE
menu in Word and Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

As far as I can recall there never has been a specific import or export
command in any version of Word? There is in Outlook - are you sure you are
not confusing the two?.

CSV is merely a plain text format - and usually used to describe a comma
delimited data file. You can use file save as to save as TXT and if you
put quotes around the filename, you can use the CSV extension eg

"filename.csv"

Inserting the file would serve the same purpose as 'Import'

"PGirt" wrote in message
In Versions 2003, how do install the "import and export" command in
the FILE
menu in Word and Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

I think you're maybe confusing applications. A CSV is a comma-delimited text
file. From Word that is (and has always been, as far as I know) a matter of
formatting within the document -- to insert the commas -- followed by a
SaveAs in text format. In Excel, it's one of the SaveAs options.

Import and Export are on the *Outlook* File menu.

"PGirt" wrote in message
In Versions 2003, how do install the "import and export" command in the
FILE
menu in Word and Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I think you need the command in Outlook, where you should find it. I've
never seen it in Word or Excel and it is still in my Outlook.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"PGirt" wrote in message
In Versions 2003, how do install the "import and export" command in the
FILE
menu in Word and Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PGirt

Where is the Import and Export in Outlook? This is what I have done in the
past - ver 2002... I downloaded, off the internet, a CSV file, that I then
chose to open in EXCEL. I wanted to place the info into OUTLOOK calendar.
In EXCEL, ver 2002, I clicked on FILEIMPORT and EXPORT, and up pops a
Wizard. I chose to export to OUTLOOK, by following the wizard, to accomplish
this! My problem is that I can't get this done in version 2003! I hope to
find the answer! Thank you for your assistance!

"PGirt" wrote in message
In Versions 2003, how do install the "import and export" command in the
FILE
menu in Word and Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

In Outlook, Import and Export are on the File menu. In Excel, you simply
open the csv. There's no wizardry needed. Excel does use a file wizard if
you open an unformatted plain text file, which a csv is not; but in any
case, that happens automatically.

"PGirt" wrote in message
In Versions 2003, how do install the "import and export" command in
the
FILE
menu in Word and Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Strictly that's maybe true: but in practice in the distinction between
Office apps is blurred for most users; and for many posters too, I would
have thought. And indeed that seems to be the case for the software
developers also, as cursory review of the object model makes clear.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But neither Outlook nor Excel is within the purview of this NG.

so
all may benefit.