Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Middleton

Default Word 2007 CPU Usage

So I first want to say that there are some great enhancements in the word
2007 environment, my favorite being the reference section for citing sources.
Bang on Office Team.

Now one thing that I've been experiencing is a very slow response time when
working with the program. If I open certain functions it seems to take a few
seconds to response (5 or more). The other thing that I've noticed is that
page breaks don't seem to function right. They work if I put an enter in
front of them but otherwise they don't. also the bibliography function has
an indent at the beginning that I cant get rid of.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

What functions take long to respond?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Andrew Middleton" wrote in
message :

So I first want to say that there are some great enhancements in the word
2007 environment, my favorite being the reference section for citing sources.
Bang on Office Team.

Now one thing that I've been experiencing is a very slow response time when
working with the program. If I open certain functions it seems to take a few
seconds to response (5 or more). The other thing that I've noticed is that
page breaks don't seem to function right. They work if I put an enter in
front of them but otherwise they don't. also the bibliography function has
an indent at the beginning that I can't get rid of.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Middleton Andrew Middleton is offline

specifically working with the referene fucntions like citation or openeing up
the bibliography section sot add it to the page.

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

What functions take long to respond?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Andrew Middleton" wrote in
message :

So I first want to say that there are some great enhancements in the word
2007 environment, my favorite being the reference section for citing sources.
Bang on Office Team.

Now one thing that I've been experiencing is a very slow response time when
working with the program. If I open certain functions it seems to take a few
seconds to response (5 or more). The other thing that I've noticed is that
page breaks don't seem to function right. They work if I put an enter in
front of them but otherwise they don't. also the bibliography function has
an indent at the beginning that I can't get rid of.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

I have never played with the references as I have EndNote as reference
manager.
Maybe someone else who has can report on their experience?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Andrew Middleton" wrote in
message news

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

What functions take long to respond?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Andrew Middleton" wrote in
message :

So I first want to say that there are some great enhancements in the word
2007 environment, my favorite being the reference section for citing sources.
Bang on Office Team.

Now one thing that I've been experiencing is a very slow response time when
working with the program. If I open certain functions it seems to take a few
seconds to response (5 or more). The other thing that I've noticed is that
page breaks don't seem to function right. They work if I put an enter in
front of them but otherwise they don't. also the bibliography function has
an indent at the beginning that I can't get rid of.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I believe "performance issues" was one of the reasons given for
delaying the release of Word 2007 from fall 2006 to early 2007.

"Andrew Middleton" wrote in
message ...
So I first want to say that there are some great enhancements in the word
2007 environment, my favorite being the reference section for citing

sources.
Bang on Office Team.

Now one thing that I've been experiencing is a very slow response time

when
working with the program. If I open certain functions it seems to take a

few
seconds to response (5 or more). The other thing that I've noticed is that
page breaks don't seem to function right. They work if I put an enter in
front of them but otherwise they don't. also the bibliography function

has
an indent at the beginning that I cant get rid of.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2007 CPU Usage [References Tab]

Hi Andrew,

A couple of things that can slow down just about all of Office 2007 are background activities such as a daily antivirus scan, or a
Search/Indexing Service being run.

Can you be specific on the steps you're using where you're seeing the delay? A number of the dialogs
(Insert=Citation=Add New Source)
and drop down choices with samples
(Bibliography)
can take a few seconds for the data from their XML files to be loaded the first time you try them but should be basically 'quick'
after that.

Your subject line mentioned CPU usage but there wasn't anything specific on that if you're referring to the Task Manager reported
levels, for example.

On Page breaks, are you referring to the Insert Tab
Insert=Page=Page Breaks
or the Page Layout Tab
Page Layout=Page Setup=Breaks

and what break type?

I haven't had an issue that I recall in inserting the breaks either through the ribbon or using ctrl+enter, for example. Is the
problem with any document or only in one document? If one document is it new or created in an earlier version of Word?

On .doc files if you use Office Button=Convert to exit Word backwards compatibility mode do you still have the same issue?

============
"Andrew Middleton" wrote in message
news specifically working with the referene fucntions like citation or openeing up the bibliography section sot add it to the page.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS to the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system info,
online Test Drive, or downloadable beta is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Middleton Andrew Middleton is offline

Bob,

I'm clicking the reference tab manage sources (100% CPU at this point)
Edit (100% again) and anything I work with does this.

Seeing as I have a 2 gigahertz 1.5 gig ram machine I shouldn't have a problem.

Turns out that the virus scanner seems to take a long time to scan the
document every time this happens. is this a known issue. I'm using Norton
Internet Security 2006

-----------

I just checked and indeed the problem is virus scanning. There is a setting
in Norton Anti-virus that plugs into Office. In order to maintain regular
performance I turned it off and office works fine now. Turn it on and the
same problem comes back. This might be something for Microsoft or Symantec
to look into.

Thanks again for the help

Andrew
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Day Dave Day is offline

Hi,

I'm having the exact same trouble using Norton AV 2006 - managing the
sources was so slow that I considered changing over to Endnote X (and I'd
only added 2 sources!). Everything about the source management was extremely
slow - from highlighting different sources in the manage sources screen, to
changing the type of new source I was adding. It would take a matter of
seconds to respond every time.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround so I can leave the Norton
Office plugin enabled, but still get reasonable performance?

Thanks,
Dave