Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laitkens laitkens is offline

Default Adding symbol after bullet point

I would like to insert a section symbol (§) after a bullet. I would like to
have this automated so I do not have to manually insert the symbol after
every bullet point. I am using Word 2003. Is there a way I can go about
doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A "bulleted list" can have only one symbol (which could be § if desired),
but a "numbered" list can have specific text in addition to the "number,"
which can be a bullet. The trick is that you'll have to pick a "bullet"
character from the same font as the section symbol and insert it manually
(you can't, even in an outline-numbered list, select a bullet for the
"Number style" and then add text to it). The easiest way to approach this is
to select your bullet and section symbol from the Insert | Symbol dialog and
insert them into your document. Then copy/paste (using Ctrl+V to paste) into
the "Number format" box.

"laitkens" wrote in message
Part of the bullet

"laitkens" wrote in message
I would like to insert a section symbol (§) after a bullet. I would
like
have this automated so I do not have to manually insert the symbol
after
every bullet point. I am using Word 2003. Is there a way I can go
about
doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrey Kazak Andrey Kazak is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A "bulleted list" can have only one symbol (which could be § if desired),
but a "numbered" list can have specific text in addition to the "number,"
which can be a bullet. The trick is that you'll have to pick a "bullet"
character from the same font as the section symbol and insert it manually
(you can't, even in an outline-numbered list, select a bullet for the
"Number style" and then add text to it). The easiest way to approach this is
to select your bullet and section symbol from the Insert | Symbol dialog and
insert them into your document. Then copy/paste (using Ctrl+V to paste) into
the "Number format" box.

Thank you for the hint!

However I try to copy/paste section symbol in Number format box under
Customize Outline Numbered List dialog and the system does not allow me to
paste it...

I appreciate any other ideas...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't have any difficulty doing this. I insert § in the document, select
it and Ctrl+C to copy it, then open the Numbering dialog and use Ctrl+V to
paste it. What are you doing differently?

"Andrey Kazak" Andrey wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrey Kazak[_2_] Andrey Kazak[_2_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't have any difficulty doing this. I insert § in the document, select
it and Ctrl+C to copy it, then open the Numbering dialog and use Ctrl+V to
paste it. What are you doing differently?

Everything is the same!
I use Word 2003 (11.8215.8202) SP3. And you?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrey Kazak[_2_] Andrey Kazak[_2_] is offline

I do the following:

1) Apply Normal style to all text of a document;
2) Insert section sign (Unicode character 00A7) from of Times New Roman font
from (Insert | Symbol) dialog to the document;
3) Select it and copy to a clipboard;
4) Select a line of text and go to "Customize outline numbered list" dialog;
5) Try to paste clipboard content to "Number format" box, BUT nothing is
pasted...

Maybe I have buggy Word version?

What else to try?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm using the same version and revision, so I can't explain why you're
getting different results.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrey Kazak[_2_] Andrey Kazak[_2_] is offline

Just deleted "normal.dot" and everything is fine now!

Thank you for the fruitfull discussion...