Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fnd08 fnd08 is offline

Default Edit Menu - why is the Link menu is grayed out?

I have inserted some objects, so that they will updated if the source file is
changed, but I am not able to update the objects because the link menu is
grayed out. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fnd08 fnd08 is offline

Maybe it's the way I am linking, because I've had issue getting the graphic
to display. These are the steps that I took, condensed:

1 - insert menu/object
2 - create from file/browse select file/click link to file box/click o.k.
3 - box disappears and blank box appears with the name of the file.

I want the graphic to show and print.

So instead of the above, I did this:

1 - insert menu/object
2 - create from file/browse select file/highlight and copy the file
3 - edit menu/paste special/click paste link box/click o.k.

I've tried everything, this must not have worked either. How can I insert a
graphic file that allows me to view it within the document, print and update
it from the source without the file name printing?

"CyberTaz" wrote:

My first guess is that when you inserted the objects you neglected to click
the Link to File checkbox so your objects are simply embedded rather than
linked.

Another possibility is that the doc is protected in some way which prevents
the links from being edited.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"fnd08" wrote in message
I have inserted some objects, so that they will updated if the source file
is
changed, but I am not able to update the objects because the link menu is
grayed out. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

OK - That information makes a big difference

If you're actually inserting an image of some sort you should be using
Insert Picture From File rather than *Object*. If not images, what type of
objects are they?

The problem would then be that the file type you're linking to is one which
Word isn't capable of displaying. Further, the file type must be
OLE-compatible *and* the creating application must be installed on the
system where Word is trying to display it. Keep in mind that you're wanting
to have a program that uses one file type display something created by a
program that uses a _completely different_ file type - something which it
quite probably - and in this case, definitely - cannot do.

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones