Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
WD Rudman WD Rudman is offline

Default Moving a column removes formatting (shading)

In Word2007 (which blows compared to 2003 -- I hate the ribbon and all of
Office tries too hard to "anticipate" what I need -- MS: stop making
assumptions about what I want to do with my work -- but that's a separate
thread):

I have a table in which I am comparing items (db table field lists) arranged
in columns. In my analysis, I color code cells (Fill) of like items. Having
completed this portion, I then want to rearrange columns so that similarly
color-coded columns are next to each other. But when I try to reposition the
column in the table, all my shaded cells lose their assigned colors. It
doesn't matter if I drag or c&p the column.

And please don't tell me I have to do this in Excel -- it's a table full of
text, it belongs in Word.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm not sure why this happens; it could be that Word is trying to restore
the settings of the underlying table style.

What you can do is create a paragraph style with shading and apply it to
text in the relevant columns. The formatting should then be preserved as you
rearrange columns.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP