Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MEL MEL is offline

Default Word 2007

After years of working with Word 2003, I recently got updated to Word 2007. I
have this situation of - when I click on the Word icon to open so I can
create a documnet - the document that I had created and saved prior to,
automatically appears rather than a blank page. How can I fix this so that
when i open the icon a blank page will appear?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Exit Word and then rename the normal.dotm file. You can perform a search in
Windows for the file (be sure to search hidden files and folders). When you
restart Word, a clean copy of Normal with factory default settings will be
created.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MEL" wrote in message
After years of working with Word 2003, I recently got updated to Word
2007. I
have this situation of - when I click on the Word icon to open so I can
create a documnet - the document that I had created and saved prior to,
automatically appears rather than a blank page. How can I fix this so
that
when i open the icon a blank page will appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MEL MEL is offline

Thank you for your response,. Unfortunately I am lost in using 2007 ( versus
2003) . If you would please give me the step by step for example if I close
out of word how/where do I rename the normal.dotm file? I apologize formy
lack knowledge but I have attempted to resolve on my own only to become
extremely frustrated.

"MEL" wrote in message
After years of working with Word 2003, I recently got updated to Word
2007. I
have this situation of - when I click on the Word icon to open so I can
create a documnet - the document that I had created and saved prior to,
automatically appears rather than a blank page. How can I fix this so
that
when i open the icon a blank page will appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Start the Find utility in Windows by holding the Windows key and then
pressing F. Type the file name (normal.dotm) in the "All or part of the
file name" box. Click More advanced options, and make sure that "Search
system folders," "Search hidden files and folders," and "Search subfolders"
are all checked. Then click the Search button.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MEL" wrote in message
After years of working with Word 2003, I recently got updated to Word
2007. I
have this situation of - when I click on the Word icon to open so I can
create a documnet - the document that I had created and saved prior to,
automatically appears rather than a blank page. How can I fix this so
that
when i open the icon a blank page will appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MEL MEL is offline

I am beginning to feel like such a derilict, you are giving me the
instrutructiosnd and yet I still cannot follow them. Please excuse my
ignornace and I do appreciate your patience. #1 How do I find the utility in
Windows? #2 Where do i locate the Windows key? I have searched the
unternet asking these questions yet there is no specific answer ( for us
dummies)
The ironic situation is that on my table top computer i don't have this
problem with the same aWord 2007 problem. It is driving me crazy.
Thank you.

"MEL" wrote in message
After years of working with Word 2003, I recently got updated to Word
2007. I
have this situation of - when I click on the Word icon to open so I can
create a documnet - the document that I had created and saved prior to,
automatically appears rather than a blank page. How can I fix this so
that
when i open the icon a blank page will appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Stefan has said, you start Windows Search (Find) by pressing the Windows
key and F at the same time. The Windows key is the one to the left of the
left Alt key that has the Windows logo on it. You can also start search by
using Start | Search | For Files or Folders. Or, if you already have Windows
Explorer (My Computer) open (you can open it using Windows Key + E), you can
use the Search button on its toolbar.

For more help with finding Normal.dotm, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm, which covers your
situation.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"MEL" wrote in message
After years of working with Word 2003, I recently got updated to
Word
2007. I
have this situation of - when I click on the Word icon to open so I
can
create a documnet - the document that I had created and saved prior
to,
automatically appears rather than a blank page. How can I fix this
so
that
when i open the icon a blank page will appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Stefan has said, you start Windows Search (Find) by pressing the
Windows
key and F at the same time. The Windows key is the one to the left of the
left Alt key that has the Windows logo on it. You can also start search
by
using Start | Search | For Files or Folders. Or, if you already have
Windows
Explorer (My Computer) open (you can open it using Windows Key + E), you
can
use the Search button on its toolbar.

For more help with finding Normal.dotm, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm, which covers
your
situation.

http://word.mvps.org