Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

Default Word 2003 Outline Formatting

Hello All,

Need some help on Outline formating in Word 2003. I am looking to format
outline to show the following, single line spacing as you type and then
skipping a line between levels. See below...

1) Single line spacing would
go like this.

a) Skipped line between levels
would look like this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

Pam,

Thanks, that did what I wanted. Wouldn't I use 12 point for the spacing, if
I wanted the space to match the document that was in 12 point. It looks
right when I tried it.

Mike

Mike wrote:
Hello All,

Need some help on Outline formating in Word 2003. I am looking to format
outline to show the following, single line spacing as you type and then
skipping a line between levels. See below...

1) Single line spacing would
go like this.

a) Skipped line between levels
would look like this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think 12 is plenty. To tell the truth, I think 6 is plenty in most cases
(that's the Space After defined for the built-in Body Text style).

http://word.mvps.org

Mike wrote:
Hello All,

Need some help on Outline formating in Word 2003. I am looking to
format
outline to show the following, single line spacing as you type and then
skipping a line between levels. See below...

1) Single line spacing would
go like this.

a) Skipped line between levels
would look like this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suggested 14 because that is closer to the actual line spacing. Word
pretty much hides the details from us, but for 12 point type, the single
spacing is about 14 points. I always base additional vertical spacing on
the actual line spacing and horizontal spacing on the point size--a holdover
from designing book layouts back in the hard type days I guess. But as you
say, 12 looks fine.

I'm glad to have helped.

Pam

Mike wrote:
Pam,

Thanks, that did what I wanted. Wouldn't I use 12 point for the spacing, if
I wanted the space to match the document that was in 12 point. It looks
right when I tried it.

Mike

You handle this in the paragraph style by setting the space after to, say, 7
or 14 points (assuming that you are using 12 point type).

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
a) Skipped line between levels
would look like this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I very much agree that half or even a quarter of the line spacing is plenty.
But some of my clients still base their spacing on what they would have done
with typewriters, so I included the "full" line spacing in the options to
Mike.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think 12 is plenty. To tell the truth, I think 6 is plenty in most cases
(that's the Space After defined for the built-in Body Text style).

Pam,

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]
a) Skipped line between levels
would look like this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's very difficult to determine what actual line spacing is for a given
font at a given point size unless you have the paragraph spacing set to an
Exact amount. It does vary considerably from font to font. Keeping line
spacing even is paramount if you're using something like the MS Pleading
template that has line numbers hard-coded in the margin, and it's helpful if
you're doing columnar text (to try to keep the bottoms of columns even), but
it is extraordinarily complex in that Word's vertical justification is so
unsatisfactory.

http://word.mvps.org

Mike wrote:
Pam,

Thanks, that did what I wanted. Wouldn't I use 12 point for the spacing,
if
I wanted the space to match the document that was in 12 point. It looks
right when I tried it.

Mike

You handle this in the paragraph style by setting the space after to,
say, 7
or 14 points (assuming that you are using 12 point type).

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
a) Skipped line between levels
would look like this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, I realized this was what you were doing, but, as I said in my other
reply, the leading varies so much from one font to another that this can be
more trouble than it's worth. Word bases its multiple (e.g., double) spacing
on the font's built-in leading, and IMO Double spacing is much too spacey; I
use Exactly 24 points to "double-space" 12-pt TNR.