Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sf sf is offline

Default Table of Figures for Appendix

OK - I followed Shauna Kelly's instructions (7.2 on numbering
Appendixes)...here is my issue - I am using Microsoft 2007; and working on a
document that already had an existing "List of Tables". I created the Tables
for the Appendix using Table_Apx as the caption and everything was working
fine on that end. Now, when I tried to create the second "List of Tables",
and leaving a blank paragraph in between, Word is not letting me deselect the
first List of Tables to be able to create a second one. When I tried to
create the List, it just replaced the first list. I have tried a hard
return, inserting section breaks, page breaks, etc. and nothing is letting me
"click" on a separate line without the entire previous table being selected.
Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you make sure to create a separate caption label?

Also, make sure not to select an existing list of tables when creating the
new one.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sf sf is offline

Yes, I did create a separate caption label - it is titled "Table_Apx". The
issue I'm having is that even when the existing list of tables is not
selected, once I try to insert a paragraph, or hard return below the existing
one, it just automatically selects the existing one. I can't "deselect" the
first one in order to create the second one. I have tried section breaks,
page breaks, etc., nothing is letting me just enter a hard return or whatever
to be able to create the second List of Tables without selecting the first.
Any other suggestions?

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Display nonprinting marks, for example by pressing Ctrl+Shift+8 (acts as a
toggle). Show field codes, for example by pressing Alt+F9; the TOC field
will look similar to this: { TOC \c "Table" \h }. Then carefully make sure
to place the insertion point in a paragraph outside of the existing TOC
field. Now can you successfully add a new list of table?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I find it helps to press Alt+F9 to display the TOC field code. When you do
this, you'll find that the paragraph break that appears to be outside the
field code is actually inside it. Right-arrow to get outside the field code
and then press Enter. I am usually careful, before creating a TOC to put in
several extra empty paragraphs to avoid this problem.

http://word.mvps.org

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you need more information on nonprinting marks, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only situation where blank paragraphs are actually useful!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sf sf is offline

Yes, that worked!! Thanks!!! The only thing I'm having trouble with is
trying to get it on the same page (I tried the "Format/Font/Hidden" on that
paragraph marker, and it's not moving it up) but, really, I'm just happy that
it worked - if it comes down to it, I will just name that "List of Appendix
Tables"! Thanks so much!!!