Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MMan MMan is offline

Default Symbol selector disappeared

Can anyone tell mew why the "Symbol" choice would disappear off the
"Insert" dropdown.

And how I can get it back?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sure. My article at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm does
just that.

"MMan" wrote in message
Can anyone tell mew why the "Symbol" choice would disappear off the
"Insert" dropdown.

And how I can get it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MMan MMan is offline

On Feb 2, 9:19*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Sure. My article athttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htmdoes
just that.

Thanks!

Yep, that's how it happened.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The question arises, Why would they think such a keyboard shortcut [to
delete commands from menus] would be a useful thing to have?

And also, why wouldn't they think Insert Symbol was useful enough to
be on the toolbar by default?

[Note that anyone who introduced my query with "That begs the
question, '...'" should be shot. {With a paintball.}]

"MMan" wrote in message

On Feb 2, 9:19 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Sure. My article athttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htmdoes
just that.

Thanks!

Yep, that's how it happened.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The ToolsCustomizeRemoveMenuShortcut and ToolsCustomizeAddMenuShortcut are
leftover from previous versions of Word -- back in the days when Word didn't
have drag/drop customization capabilities. The
ToolsCustomizeRemoveMenuShortcut is still handy for removing entries from
the Work menu, but the ToolsCustomizeAddMenuShortcut is rarely used, if at
all. I suspect it's only used by those who consider the keyboard command an
Easter Egg since the mouse pointer changes. ;-)

Note both commands have been disabled in Word 2007. The commands are still
there but the functionality isn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"MMan" wrote in message

On Feb 2, 9:19 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Sure. My article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htmdoes
just that.

Thanks!

Yep, that's how it happened.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Beth has said, the ToolsCustomizeRemoveMenuShortcut command
can also be used to remove documents from the MRU list at the bottom of the
File menu (which also removes them from the Getting Started task pane).

I agree about the utility of an Insert Symbol button on the toolbar, and
I've had one there for as long as I can remember. I tried the same trick in
Excel and found it initially useless because it wasn't active when I was
typing in a cell. An Excel MVP tested it and found that if I copied the
command from the Insert menu (instead of dragging it from Customize), it
would work as desired, but who would have thought of that?