Finding a single word via find/replace wildcards

Old June 15th 10, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B.

Default Finding a single word via find/replace wildcards

Hi, I'm running Word '03 on WinXP sp3.

I'm trying to catch the word "wouldest" in a multiword selection and
convert it to "would". I've got the find/replace dialog open,
wildcards checked, all other options cleared, but this Find string:

(*)[! ]dest

is pulling in the entire selection up to and including the word
"wouldest". If I hit Next the selection recedes by one word at its
beginning. The way I see it, the [! ] should kill finding multiple
words, since the space is not allowed. Do I have that right? I must be
doing something wrong.

Any input would be appreciated.
p.
Old June 15th 10, 01:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Sorry, you don't have it right. The [! ] in that expression means only
that the single character preceding "dest" must not be a space; but it
doesn't restrict any of the characters that come before that. The real
cause of your problem, though, is the asterisk. That will match as
many characters as possible, including spaces and even paragraph
marks.

For the task as stated, I don't quite understand why you're using
wildcards -- you should be able to search for the specific word
"wouldest" and replace it with "would". But if you do want to use
wildcards, I'll suggest either of these search terms:

[! ]@dest
[A-Za-z]@dest

The difference is mainly that the first one would match digits and
punctuation marks as well as letters.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old June 15th 10, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul

I think it might help to clarify what it means to 'catch the word
"wouldest" in a multiword selection'. Selection means something very
specific in windows environments. Do you mean instead that you want
to match all instances of "wouldest" occuring within a specific
pattern of words? A few simple examples would help.

Old June 15th 10, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Given that there is no such word as 'wouldest' in the spelling dictionary, I
would have thought that the spell check could have taken care of this?
F7 -change all?

Old June 16th 10, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans[_2_]

Spaces are allowed within the "*" bit. You are looking for the anything
starting at the beginning of a word (*) followed by a single non-space
([! ]) followed by "dest" at the end of a word. You have found a whole
string of stuff followed by "l" (a non-space) followed by "dest".

I don't see why you can't just look for wouldest, but what you need to do
to the search string you have is make it look for a sequence of non-space
characters ... [! ]@dest

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

Old June 16th 10, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans[_2_]

Ignore me! I saw the original post and replied without registering that Jay
had already given virtually the same answer.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

Old June 17th 10, 11:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B.

Thanks to everyone for the answer. That was a very clear explanation,
Jay. The function of the @ had escaped me. I have some Perl RegEx
experience, but Word's lingo frequently drives me batty.

Graham, the reason I'm trying to do this via Search is that I
occasionally want to convert KJV Bible verses to more modern usage, so
it's more than a question of the "wouldest" word, and I'm constructing
a macro to do it all (besides, I have a KJV dictionary installed, so
'wouldst' isn't flagged in spell check). I could have made that more
clear in my post. I'll probably doctor this up to only pick up "est"
word endings preceded by certain consonants, in order to avoid false
positives.

And Tony - sorry, but I refuse to ignore you!

Be well,

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Old June 17th 10, 01:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You could turn off your KJV dictionary and that would then allow such words
to be flagged as in error and give you the option to replace all with real
words. If you want to stick with searches, then
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm will explain the
structure

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old June 17th 10, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Note that a "modern language KJV" has been published -- I don't know
exactly what it's called -- that smooths out the archaic grammatical
forms but retains the poetic diction and doesn't correct the mistaken
translations, so is there really a need to do this yourself?

Old June 17th 10, 06:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B.

Peter: Yes, there are many updated KJV versions. I seldom use the KJV,
except that I have it electronically with embedded word definitions.
But sometimes I have an article in which the quotes are hard to read,
so I decided it would be worth it to make a converter.

Graham: Since I'm also converting "thee's and thou's and thy's",
there's much more to do. And toggling the KJV dictionary would be a
nuisance.

Paul: Sorry I missed your post first time through. Thanks for your
response.

p.