How do I make a non-breaking space and what's it used for?

Old April 7th 05, 07:23 PM
sharice

Default How do I make a non-breaking space and what's it used for?

I need an answer to the following question....

What keystroke(s) do you use to create a non-breaking space, and for what
purpose do you use a non-breaking space?
Old April 7th 05, 08:20 PM
Jay Freedman

sharice wrote:
I need an answer to the following question....

What keystroke(s) do you use to create a non-breaking space, and for
what purpose do you use a non-breaking space?

The key combination is Ctrl+Shift+spacebar. If you can't remember that, go
to Insert Symbol, click the Special Characters tab, and select it from the
list.

It's useful when you have something that should appear as two words but
should never be separated by automatic line wrapping. Examples include
surnames with multiple words (Ludwig Mies van der Rohe) and large amounts
expressed with both numbers and words ($100 million). It's also useful when
you have a list of names that you want to sort in a table, because the sort
treats words joined by nonbreaking spaces as a single word.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman