How to edit an existing style

Old May 10th 11, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angus[_2_]

Default How to edit an existing style

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus
Old May 10th 11, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

To "Modify" a style, open the Styles window (either type Ctrl-Alt-
Shift-S, or click the tiny x in the lower right corner of the Styles
group on the Home tab), right-click on the name of your style, and
choose Modify. Most of the parameters are under "Format" at the lower
left.

If you don't see your style name, click Options at the lower right and
choose Select Styles to Show All Styles.

Old May 10th 11, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angus[_2_]

On May 10, 8:55*am, Angus wrote:

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. *How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. *Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus

I created a list style called Headings which I applied to Heading 1.
If I select Headings in the list and click on Modify button a dialog
appears which shows properties of Headings 1. So how do I edit my
Headings style?

I created Headings list style as follows: on the Home tab, in the
Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New
List Style.

Angus

Old May 10th 11, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Ah. a list style is different from a paragraph style, and I've no idea
how they work (or what they do).

On May 10, 8:55*am, Angus wrote:

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. *How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. *Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus

I created a list style called Headings which I applied to Heading 1.
If I select Headings in the list and click on Modify button a dialog
appears which shows properties of Headings 1. *So how do I edit my
Headings style?

I created Headings list style as follows: on the Home tab, in the
Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New
List Style.

Old May 11th 11, 03:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On May 10, 8:55*am, Angus wrote:

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. *How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. *Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus

I created a list style called Headings which I applied to Heading 1.
If I select Headings in the list and click on Modify button a dialog
appears which shows properties of Headings 1. So how do I edit my
Headings style?

I created Headings list style as follows: on the Home tab, in the
Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New
List Style.

Angus

For list styles, it's critical to define them correctly from the start. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html for
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old May 11th 11, 10:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angus[_2_]

On May 10, 8:55*am, Angus wrote:

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. *How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. *Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus

I created a list style called Headings which I applied to Heading 1.
If I select Headings in the list and click on Modify button a dialog
appears which shows properties of Headings 1. *So how do I edit my
Headings style?

I created Headings list style as follows: on the Home tab, in the
Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New
List Style.

Angus

For list styles, it's critical to define them correctly from the start. Seehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.htmlfor
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Thats how I started editing the list style. But the article doesn't
explain how to get back to re-edit the list style. I have looked
around in Word and it doesn't look obvious how you do so. There must
be a way. If anyone knows please reply.

Angus
Old May 11th 11, 01:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You have to return to the original dialog. Despite the fact that the dialogs
are labeled "Define New...," they're used for editing as well.

http://word.mvps.org

On May 10, 8:55 am, Angus wrote:

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus

I created a list style called Headings which I applied to Heading 1.
If I select Headings in the list and click on Modify button a dialog
appears which shows properties of Headings 1. So how do I edit my
Headings style?

I created Headings list style as follows: on the Home tab, in the
Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New
List Style.

Angus

For list styles, it's critical to define them correctly from the start.
Seehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.htmlfor
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
so all may benefit.

Old May 11th 11, 04:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angus[_2_]

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

On May 10, 8:55 am, Angus wrote:

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus

I created a list style called Headings which I applied to Heading 1.
If I select Headings in the list and click on Modify button a dialog
appears which shows properties of Headings 1. So how do I edit my
Headings style?

I created Headings list style as follows: on the Home tab, in the
Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New
List Style.

Angus

For list styles, it's critical to define them correctly from the start.
Seehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.htmlfor
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
so all may benefit.

Thats how I started editing the list style. *But the article doesn't
explain how to get back to re-edit the list style. *I have looked
around in Word and it doesn't look obvious how you do so. *There must
be a way. *If anyone knows please reply.

Angus

Nice try... but it doesn't work

Eg I click on little down arrow on multi-level list toolbar icon,
click on Define new list style...

Then what? I entered name Headings - my original name. Then I get
"This style name already exists or is reserved for a built in style".
I click ok and find I cannot do anything as long as name of style is
same as name I created before. Try it yourself and you will see.

Old May 13th 11, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Locate your list style at Home tab | Multilevel List (under "List Styles"), right-click it and select Modify from the context menu. That should work.

Alternatively, you could edit the style from the Manage Styles dialog box (in the Styles pane, click the Manage Styles button, and look at the Edit tab).

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On May 10, 8:55 am, Angus wrote:

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus

I created a list style called Headings which I applied to Heading 1.
If I select Headings in the list and click on Modify button a dialog
appears which shows properties of Headings 1. So how do I edit my
Headings style?

I created Headings list style as follows: on the Home tab, in the
Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New
List Style.

Old May 23rd 11, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Because "Define New" cannot be used with list styles.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On May 10, 8:55 am, Angus wrote:

Hello

I created my own style and now I want to edit it. How do I do that?
It is in Word 2007. Why is Word 2007 such hard work!

Angus

I created a list style called Headings which I applied to Heading 1.
If I select Headings in the list and click on Modify button a dialog
appears which shows properties of Headings 1. So how do I edit my
Headings style?

I created Headings list style as follows: on the Home tab, in the
Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New
List Style.