How do you end or "turn off" a character style while entering text

Old April 25th 05, 02:20 PM
Larry Root

Default How do you end or "turn off" a character style while entering text

What I'd like to be able to do is apply a character style as I type the text
rather than having to stop, select the text to be styled, apply the character
style, relocate to the end of the text, and continue. This is straight
forward using direct formatting, but I cannot get it to work using styles.

If I enter text in a paragraph style and then go back and apply a character
style to the text that I've already entered, I get what I expect and want:
text with that style within a block of paragraph styled text.

If I enter text in a paragraph style, then select a character style to apply
to text as I enter it, and then try to return to the paragraph style, Word
seems to reasign the character style into the paragraph style: Subsequent
text, and even subsequest paragraphs, stay in the applied character style.

How do I "turn off" a character style so I can continue in the selected
paragraph style?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Very Respectfully,
Larry

Old April 25th 05, 02:42 PM
Jay Freedman

Hi Larry,

While you're typing, when you come to the end of the text you want formatted
in the character style, press Ctrl+spacebar to return to the paragraph
style. It invokes the ResetChar command, which removes any character style
or direct formatting that exists at the insertion point.

In versions of Word up to 2000, the Format Style command opened the Style
dialog, in which you could choose a sort-of-character-style named "Default
Paragraph Font" from the list. That represents the absence of any character
style or direct formatting, so applying it is equivalent to the ResetChar
command.

In Word 2002/2003 the Format Style command opens the Styles and Formatting
task pane, which for some reason doesn't contain the "Default Paragraph
Font" entry. If you want the old dialog, you can open the Tools Customize
dialog, select the Format category, and locate the entry "Style..." about
3/4 of the way down the list. Drag that entry to a toolbar or menu.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old April 25th 05, 03:29 PM
Larry Root

Jay & Suzanne,

Thanks! I didn't (and I'm sure never would have) found that digging on my
own.

VERY respectfully,
Larry