Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pdlb pdlb is offline

Default Black lines

Hi keep getting black lines in my document that I can't get rid of. I have
set Borders and Shading to 'None'. This hasn't helped. I don't even know
where they've come from! Can anyone help. I use Word 2003. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi,

By default, Word automatically creates six different types of border lines
that stretch across the page when you type a hyphen (-), the underscore
character (_), an equal sign (=), a tilde (~), the pound sign (#), or an
asterisk (*) three or more times at the beginning of a new line with nothing
before, between, or after these characters and then press Enter.

If you want to type one of these characters three or more times without
creating a line, simply type a space or some other text after them before you
press Enter. If you forget to insert a space or other text and a line
appears, you can remove it immediately by pressing Alt+Backspace or Ctrl+Z,
that is, either of the shortcut keys that undoes the previous action.

These lines are created as the lower border of the previous paragraph. You
can take advantage of this fact to remove such a line when undoing the
previous action can no longer remove it. In this case place your cursor
immediately above it, that is, within the previous paragraph and press
Ctrl+Q. Pressing this key resets the formatting of the paragraph to the
default formatting, which generally specifies no borders.

You can disable the automatic generation of these lines in Word 2003 by
performing the following steps. On the Tools menu, click Autocorrect Options.
Then in the Autocorrect Options dialog box, on the AutoFormat As You Type
tab, clear the Border Lines check box, which is located in the Apply As You
Type Options section. After you disable this feature, you can enable it again
by selecting the Border Lines check box.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz