Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Miguel V. Miguel V. is offline

Default trouble w/footnote spacing

Hi,

Writing a paper in Word '07 w/required margins of 1" around. However, when
I set footnotes, I get weird spacing, like 2 "enters" worth of spacing and
it's making my paper look smaller than it really is. Word won't let me
change the spacing in the footer, and that's really frustrating--

Please help me out!!!!!

Miguel V.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bxrswfe Bxrswfe is offline

Your paragraph spacing may be too big. Go into FORMATPARAGRAPHINDENTS AND
SPACING TABSPACING. Make sure it is set for before/after at 0 pt., and
single spacing. Maybe that helps.

"Miguel V." wrote:

Hi,

Writing a paper in Word '07 w/required margins of 1" around. However, when
I set footnotes, I get weird spacing, like 2 "enters" worth of spacing and
it's making my paper look smaller than it really is. Word won't let me
change the spacing in the footer, and that's really frustrating--

Please help me out!!!!!

Miguel V.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Miguel V.[_2_] Miguel V.[_2_] is offline

Yes,

I already had those settings. Any other ideas?

By the way, I had Office '03 before upgrading, and I don't seem to recall
ever having this issue when writing papers under Word. Is this an issue
that's come up with just Word '07? It's very frustrating.

Miguel V.

"Miguel V." wrote:

Hi,

Writing a paper in Word '07 w/required margins of 1" around. However,

when
I set footnotes, I get weird spacing, like 2 "enters" worth of spacing

and
it's making my paper look smaller than it really is. Word won't let me
change the spacing in the footer, and that's really frustrating--

Please help me out!!!!!

Miguel V.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Check if formatting (spacing before) or contents (such as empty paragraph
marks, ¶) has been added to the footnote separator.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Miguel V." wrote:

Hi,

Writing a paper in Word '07 w/required margins of 1" around. However,

when
I set footnotes, I get weird spacing, like 2 "enters" worth of spacing

and
it's making my paper look smaller than it really is. Word won't let me
change the spacing in the footer, and that's really frustrating--

Please help me out!!!!!

Miguel V.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Miguel V.[_2_] Miguel V.[_2_] is offline

There are no seperating paragraph markers between footnotes, but there are
two (double spaced) at the outset of footnoting. Word won't let me click on
them or highlight them.

VERY frustrating.

Miguel V.

"Miguel V." wrote:

Hi,

Writing a paper in Word '07 w/required margins of 1" around. However,
when
I set footnotes, I get weird spacing, like 2 "enters" worth of spacing
and
it's making my paper look smaller than it really is. Word won't let me
change the spacing in the footer, and that's really frustrating--

Please help me out!!!!!

Miguel V.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Do you see them above the footnotes? That indicates that you should look in
the footnote separator.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Miguel V." wrote:

Hi,

Writing a paper in Word '07 w/required margins of 1" around. However,
when
I set footnotes, I get weird spacing, like 2 "enters" worth of spacing
and
it's making my paper look smaller than it really is. Word won't let me
change the spacing in the footer, and that's really frustrating--

Please help me out!!!!!

Miguel V.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To display the footnote separator: On the View tab, in the Document Views
group, click Draft. On the References tab, in the Footnotes group, click Show
Notes. Word displays the footnote pane. Choose the "Footnote separator" item.

Now, delete any undesired contents. (To see nonprinting marks, such as
paragraph marks (¶), press Ctrl+Shift+8.) Return to Print Layout view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Miguel V." wrote:

Hi,

Writing a paper in Word '07 w/required margins of 1" around. However,
when
I set footnotes, I get weird spacing, like 2 "enters" worth of spacing
and
it's making my paper look smaller than it really is. Word won't let me
change the spacing in the footer, and that's really frustrating--

Please help me out!!!!!

Miguel V.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Miguel V.[_2_] Miguel V.[_2_] is offline

Ok, that helped a bit, but I still have some significant spacing above the
footnote area, e.g., above the solid line, and I don't know how to shrink the
spacing...

Thanks for all the help. Do you have any other suggestions in the above area?

Miguel V.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

To display the footnote separator: On the View tab, in the Document Views
group, click Draft. On the References tab, in the Footnotes group, click Show
Notes. Word displays the footnote pane. Choose the "Footnote separator" item.

Now, delete any undesired contents. (To see nonprinting marks, such as
paragraph marks (¶), press Ctrl+Shift+8.) Return to Print Layout view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have the footnotes set to "Bottom of page" rather than "Below text,"
this may be inevitable in some cases. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm