Default How do I keep the insert button from toggling into overtype mode?

When I use my sister's Word 2000, sometimes I accidentally hit the INSERT
button and enter the notorious OVERTYPE MODE, often not even noticing
anything until I want to insert additional text which (you guessed it)
obliterates material I had wanted to keep. How do I tell the programme to
ignore the $^#%& INSERT button so I don't have to worry about losing anything
important (like what's left of my sanity;-)? Your prompt response via
» will be DEEPLY appreciated.
garfield-n-odie

My first thought is that this is your sister's computer, not
yours, so you shouldn't make changes to keyboard key functions
without your sister's knowledge and consent.

To disable the Insert key from toggling Overtype mode in Word,
click on Tools | Customize | Keyboard | Categories: All Commands
| Commands: Overtype | Current keys: Insert | Remove. If you are
prompted to save Normal.dot when you exit Word, say yes. You can
still turn on overtype mode when needed by double-clicking on the
OVR indicator on the Status Bar at the bottom of your Word window.

wrote:

When I use my sister's Word 2000, sometimes I accidentally hit the INSERT
button and enter the notorious OVERTYPE MODE, often not even noticing
anything until I want to insert additional text which (you guessed it)
obliterates material I had wanted to keep. How do I tell the programme to
ignore the $^#%& INSERT button so I don't have to worry about losing anything
important (like what's left of my sanity;-)? Your prompt response via
» will be DEEPLY appreciated.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Maybe if he/she was to tell his sister before making any changes it might
help. That's akin to changing the radio station in someone else's car. Not
recommended.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]