Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marilyn Marilyn is offline

Default Table of Contents -Main document

I had my Eureka moment today when I quit trying to make this so hard and
finally got my TOC. Now I just have to get it to look like I want it to. Will
have to work on that another day - no more time left today.

Thank you for being so patient with me.
--
Totally confused

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Marilyn,

At this stage I suggest you either:
1. Start again from scratch with the instructions I gave you previously, or
2. Build a composite document via the Insert|Object|Text from file Insert as Link method, then create a Table of Contents in the
composite document in the normal manner.

With the second approach, any changes made to the source files will still update the contents of the target file - which you can
also use as the file from which the whole collection is printed.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Marilyn" wrote in message ...
Bookmark not defined. This tells me that I need to go in and insert a
bookmark again even though I thought I saved it when I closed my file. Then I
got the message table cannot be updated. Need to select table style from Home
tab. Please give me the step-by-step instructions for building this table of
contents. I know you don't have a lot of time to spend on one confused user
but I do appreciate your help
--
Totally confused

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Marilyn,

After using 'Insert as Link' (which does indeed insert the whole document), did you press Alt-F9 to expose the field code? If so,
what did you see?

--
Cheers
macropod

"Marilyn" wrote in message ...
I'm still having trouble. I feel real stupid that I can't follow this but I
need clear, precise step-by-step instructions! I keep getting the entire Beef
file in what I want to be just a Table of Contents! I have used ALT+Shift+O
to mark the entries then done a bookmark for beef. Maybe I don't need to do
that, I need to know. Then when I got insert-object-text from file then
select the source file, I choose insert as a link and I get the whole section
of recipes, including the TOC from that section, in my main TOC. I don't get
the field code that you mentioned. I know when I finally catch on to this, I
will wonder why it was so hard! But that's my makeup - I have to have
complete instructions!
--
Totally confused

"Marilyn" wrote:

I have posted this question before but the information I received back wasn't
any help to me at all. I'm trying to make a main table of contents for a
cookbook in a folder that has several files containing recipe classes: ie:
beef, beverages, breads, breakfast, etc.

I have been directed to sites showing RD codes but not complete instructions
on how to do these. RD does not work in Word 2007 so it was suggested I use
RC instead. Neither of these worked but perhaps it's because I'm not marking
my text correctly. I have gone through and done the Alt+Shift+O to mark each
recipe name then done the bookmark to put them in the proper categories.
Guess my question is "how do I save the file so it will show up in my RC in
the TOC?" Also is what I am doing the correct procedure?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated!
--
Totally confused