wlm wlm is offline
Junior Member

Default Pasting text with footnotes

I often copy/paste large portions of text from one document into and existing document that is style based. I don't want the styles to come across into my existing document, so I use copy/paste special/unformatted text. The problem is that when I paste this way, the footnotes do not come across with the text. Is there any way to copy/paste as unformatted text and include the footnotes (without totally stripping it)?
Shauna Kelly

Hi wlm

As far as I know, there is no way to achieve exactly what you want. But
there are some tools that may be useful.

If you have Word 2002 or 2003, then, when you paste, you will see the Paste
Options button appear. (If you don't see it, then tick the box at Tools
Options Edit Show Paste Options Buttons). You can then use the Paste
Options button to determine, in some measure, how the text will be pasted.
There's more information about how the Paste Options button works at
How Paste Options works in Microsoft Word 2002 and 2003
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/styl...ionsWorks.html

If you have Word 2003, then the best solution might be to protect the
document against using non-authorized styles. To do that, Tools Protect
Document. Tick the "Limit formatting to a selection of styles" box, and then
click the Settings link to identify what styles you want to allow. Click the
"Yes, Start Enforcing Protection" button to turn on the protection.

When you use this protection, if you try to paste text in a style that you
have not allowed, the text is pasted in Normal style.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

--
wlm