Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cowtoon Cowtoon is offline

Default How skip blank field

I have a bit of data in one of my fields that is blank. It's for an address
and it gives me an empty line when I merge. Is there a way to skip the
blank field so that I don't have to go back to the merge to remove the blank
line.

There used to be a setting for this, but I can no longer find where that
option is located (assuming it's still an option).
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cowtoon Cowtoon is offline

Just thought I'd let you know I found the answer after plowing a little
further into other postings.
The answer is in adding the old toolmerger tool (tools, customize, all
commands ... find and add MailMergeHelper to your toolbar). That worked.
Diana

"Cowtoon" wrote in message
I have a bit of data in one of my fields that is blank. It's for an address
and it gives me an empty line when I merge. Is there a way to skip the
blank field so that I don't have to go back to the merge to remove the blank
line.

There used to be a setting for this, but I can no longer find where that
option is located (assuming it's still an option).
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Is the address data definitely completely blank?

What field codes are you using?

Generally speaking, if Word won't blank your lines for you, you have to use
an IF field to do it forr you, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD myfielda }" = "" "" "
{ MERGEFIELD myfielda }"
}{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD myfieldb }" = "" "" "
{ MERGEFIELD myfieldb }" }

and so on...

All the {} need to be the special field codes that you can insert using
ctrl-F9.

Peter Jamieson

"Cowtoon" wrote in message
I have a bit of data in one of my fields that is blank. It's for an
address
and it gives me an empty line when I merge. Is there a way to skip the
blank field so that I don't have to go back to the merge to remove the
blank
line.

There used to be a setting for this, but I can no longer find where that
option is located (assuming it's still an option).
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can get around the problem by using an If...then...Else... field
construction that test for the presence of data in the field in question.
If there is data, it inserts that field followed by a linefeed of carriage
return and then the next merge field. If there is no data, it inserts the
next field alone.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD fieldthatmightbeempty } "" "{ MERGEFIELD
fieldthatmightbeempty } [Shift+Enter]
{ MERGEFIELD nextmergefield }" "{ MERGEFIELD nextmergefield }" }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you use
Alt+F9 to toggle of their display.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.