Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
awadmin awadmin is offline

Default More 'How skip blank field' issues...

After reading earlier post 'How skip blank field', I have tried that method
and still can't get it right. I'm not as savvy with the tech portion of
Word, so the {MERGE stuff} ="with other stuff"} instruction isn't as clear to
me as it might be to others...I can see it when I toggle, but don't really
know how to use it. When I open the If..Then.. dialog box to try there, it
seems to want to enter text that I provide...and I don't think I want that.

I want to have the data entered if it is there, but skip to the next FIELD
on the page if the field is left empty. I don't want to skip to the next
record (NextIf / SkipIf), and I don't want auto-text or a space entered every
time it is blank.

Practical Example:
A mortgage may have 1, or more than 1 name on it. If there is a second, I
want the name printed on the letter, if not, just leave blank without a space
entered.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word IF fields are just a way to implement some simple IF..THEN..ELSE logic
using your field data. So the first thing to do is dscribe what you want to
do in those terms, e.g.
a. do you have two mortgage_name fields (let's say mortgage_name_1 and
mortgage_name_2) ? or what?
b. what do you want /exactly/ if
- mortgage_name_1 is blank and mortgage_name_2 is blank
- mortgage_name_1 is blank and mortgage_name_2 is not blank
- mortgage_name_1 is not blank and mortgage_name_2 is blank
- mortgage_name_1 is not blank and mortgage_name_2 is not blank

Once you have the logic, it should be possible to translate it into Word's
"field language". There are plenty of examples in this group, and when you
insert a complex set of field codes, I would advise that you start by using
ctrl-F9 to insert every pair of special field braces and type everything
else in the usual way.

Peter Jamieson

"awadmin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
awadmin awadmin is offline

I'm looking to for one like this one you mentioned....

- mortgage_name_1 is not blank and mortgage_name_2 is blank

In my case, Borrower 1 is NEVER blank, however Borrower 2 is often blank. I
want the additional name to display on it's own line if there is one, but
whenever Borrower 2 is empty, I don't want the letter to reserve the
additional line.
Also, will the field logic be put into the letter after the Borrower 1 field
or before the Borrower 2 field?.....

Example Letter Snapshot:

{MERGEFIELD Borrower 1}
{MERGEFIELD Borrower 2}----(use 2 lines if Borr 2 field is blank,
not 3)
Account # {MERGEFIELD Account}

..... How do I put the 'If..Then..' logic into the mergefields above?

A Weber

"awadmin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There are various ways to do this that should work, but I would try the
following:

{ MERGEFIELD Borrower1 }{ IF { MERGEFIELD Borrower2 } = "" "" "
{ MERGEFIELD Borrower2 }" }
Account # { MERGEFIELD Account }

All the {} have to be the special field braces that you can enter using
ctrl-F9.
in the "else" branch of the IF field you need to put

"entertab{ MERGEFIELD Borrower2 }"

i.e. press the enter key ("new paragraph" in Word), press the tab key,
insert the MERGEFIELD Borrower2 field.

Also, will the field logic be put into the letter after the Borrower 1
field
or before the Borrower 2 field?.....

It doesn't really matter whwhether you insert the extra enter before or
after the Borrower2 field, if that is what you meant, but if you have a
number of fields like this it's best to maintain a consitent approach.

Peter Jamieson

news