Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Default can I define character set for mouse word selection?

Is there a way in Word (2003 preferred) to define the character set for
selection when I double click on text? For example, I'd like to include in
the character set the '_' character. I'd also like Word not to include the
trailing space if there is one.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello David

David wrote:
Is there a way in Word (2003 preferred) to define the character set for
selection when I double click on text? For example, I'd like to include in
the character set the '_' character. I'd also like Word not to include the
trailing space if there is one.

I can't follow your problem description: do you want to add '_' to a
selected text? To _any_ selected text? Or do you want to copy the
section (say, to the Clipboard) and add something along?

2ΒΆ
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jun 4, 10:17*am, "Robert M. Franz [RMF]"
wrote:
Hello David

David wrote:
Is there a way in Word (2003 preferred) to define the character set for
selection when I double click on text? For example, I'd like to include in
the character set the '_' character. I'd also like Word not to include the
trailing space if there is one.

I can't follow your problem description: do you want to add '_' to a
selected text? To _any_ selected text? Or do you want to copy the
section (say, to the Clipboard) and add something along?

When you double-click a word, the enclosing single-quotes should get
selected, too.

In FrameMaker you can add misc. characters to the set of characters FM
recognizes as part of a "word," but I've never come across such a
feature in Word.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

"Robert M. Franz [RMF]" wrote:

Hello David

David wrote:
Is there a way in Word (2003 preferred) to define the character set for
selection when I double click on text? For example, I'd like to include in
the character set the '_' character. I'd also like Word not to include the
trailing space if there is one.

I can't follow your problem description: do you want to add '_' to a
selected text? To _any_ selected text? Or do you want to copy the
section (say, to the Clipboard) and add something along?

I'd like to change the behavior of mouse clicks for selection. For example,
I want a double click anywhere on "this_needs_selection" if it were in the
text:

Blah blah blah blah this_needs_selection blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah blah.

and have the entire word selected without needing to drag the mouse. Some
context in case there's a completely different solution, I write a lot of
technical (computer related) documents and I like to use a different
format/style for strings that are path names, application names, etc. I
usually write a paragraph or two and then go back and change the format of
the technical items. To format the strings, I select the text and apply a
recorded macro that I assigned to a key (e.g., Alt-1). It would be much
easier if I could set the character set for selection on double click to
include just about anything except white space.

If there's a better way to do it I'm open to suggestions, but defining
character selection set seems like a very useful feature. I'm sure there's a
registry key I can set.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, there is not anything in the Registry that you can set. You might be
able to accomplish this with a macro.

http://word.mvps.org

"David" wrote in message

"Robert M. Franz [RMF]" wrote:

Hello David

David wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

FWIW, a guy I work with wrote a Word plugin that lets me set the characters I
want selected on a double click. So if I add '.' to the set I can double
click on an IP address and the whole address is selected (he even has it
recognize the period at the end of a sentence and not select the trailing
period when an IP address is at the end of a sentence).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.