Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CGreene331 CGreene331 is offline

Default How can I save a file to a floppy disc?

I have a new Windows Vista and I don't know how to save my file to a floppy
disc. Can anyone help me?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Never ever read from, write to, or print from floppy with Word. These are
the most certain methods of ensuring document corruption.

Copy to/from the hard disc and work on the document from there.

CGreene331 wrote:
I have a new Windows Vista and I don't know how to save my file to a
floppy disc. Can anyone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com is offline

Fair enough. But what if one wants to save the file to a floppy disk so one
can transfer the file to another computer? (Where, of course, one will copy
it to the hard drive before working on it...)

I think the more pertinent point is that the OP has a Vista machine with a
floppy drive. Do they even make such a thing?

And if this is really the case, then why is this question being asked in the
Word NG when saving to a floppy drive is really a OS-level operation?

And if we can get past all that and make some assumptions - that the OP has
a Vista machine with a floppy drive and wants to save a _Word_ document to
floppy for whatever reason from within Word - then the question still stands:
How does one save a file to a floppy drive?

The answer is the same as it would be for saving to any other location: use
Save As and select the desired destination. Of course, the exactly steps for
doing this depend on the version of Word in use and the designation of the
floppy drive, and without this information it's not possible to provide a
more exact answer.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
membership required!

CGreene331 wrote:
I have a new Windows Vista and I don't know how to save my file to a
floppy disc. Can anyone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is certainly possible to have a floppy drive on a PC equipped with Vista
either internally or externally. It is the wisdom of saving to it with Word
that is at issue.

When working with Word documents you have no idea whatsoever of the size of
the document nor of the size of essential temporary files it creates in the
working folder. If the application cannot create its temporary files, the
document will be corrupted, usually without warning. For this reason it has
long been undesirable to save to floppy (or in any way work from floppy)
with Word.

Floppy can be used a a transport medium for documents that will fit, but you
should always *copy* to and from the hard drive.

See the macros at Save a backup and copy to removable media -
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

CGreene331 wrote:
I have a new Windows Vista and I don't know how to save my file to a
floppy disc. Can anyone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 17, 12:26*am, Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com gordon
(dot)bentleymix(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
Fair enough. But what if one wants to save the file to a floppy disk so one
can transfer the file to another computer? (Where, of course, one will copy
it to the hard drive before working on it...)

I think the more pertinent point is that the OP has a Vista machine with a
floppy drive. Do they even make such a thing?

I'm using one right now. What do you do when an old-fashioned person
gives you something on a floppy disk?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I try to find a computer with a floppy drive then transfer it over to a
flash drive. Then I teach the person who put it on the floppy about the
merits of using flash drives.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
On Jul 17, 12:26 am, Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com gordon
(dot)bentleymix(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
Fair enough. But what if one wants to save the file to a floppy disk so
one
can transfer the file to another computer? (Where, of course, one will
copy
it to the hard drive before working on it...)

I think the more pertinent point is that the OP has a Vista machine with a
floppy drive. Do they even make such a thing?

I'm using one right now. What do you do when an old-fashioned person
gives you something on a floppy disk?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So far I've lost four flash drives ... ok, so three of them were in
the same tiny plastic bag that one of them came in ...

On Jul 17, 10:55*am, "JoAnn Paules"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

Ask in a Vista newsgroup?

"CGreene331" wrote in message
:I have a new Windows Vista and I don't know how to save my file to a floppy
: disc. Can anyone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

Graham,

thanks for the point about those temporary files. I have read many manty
posts over teh months about NOT working directly on file on a flash drive.
This is the first one that gives specific details of WHY! I have been
fortunate in NOT losing any data or corrupting files that I do edit directly
from/to my flash drive.

Being aware of the issue was a forewarning and I always keep a safety copy
on teh hard disk.

Thanks for sharing the WHY as well as the warning.

Thank you