Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
karenbeth24 karenbeth24 is offline

Default Shortcut key to check a checkbox

In Word 2002, I was able to use the keyboard shortcut of Alt+X to check a
checkbox. This no longer works in Word 2007. Is there a new shortcut?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Perhaps you had something reassigned - ALT+X has [AFAIK] always been
assigned to the ToggleCharacterCode command. ie; 2122, ALT+X inserts „¢ or
20AC, ALT+X inserts ‚¬.

I've always used the Spacebar to reverse the status of a checkbox.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"karenbeth24" wrote in message
In Word 2002, I was able to use the keyboard shortcut of Alt+X to check a
checkbox. This no longer works in Word 2007. Is there a new shortcut?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In a protected form, Spacebar checks and unchecks a check box form field. If
you were using Alt+X to check a box, it may well have been the shortcut key
for a macro. In any case, Word 2003 and above use Alt+X to toggle Unicode
characters.

http://word.mvps.org

"karenbeth24" wrote in message
In Word 2002, I was able to use the keyboard shortcut of Alt+X to check a
checkbox. This no longer works in Word 2007. Is there a new shortcut?

Thanks!

Lestrad Lestrad is offline
Junior Member

Hi. I think what karenbeth means, and what I'm looking for, is how do you send the shortcut enabled by the "&" in front of the name of the checkbox (and indicated by a letter being underlined)? On some of my forms, Shift+Alt+x (x being the shortcut - the letter preceded by the "&") seems
to work, but on a dialog from another Word "app" I'm using, it doesn't work. Yet the checkboxes all have the little underlined letter (or number) in front of them.

What I want to do is send a SendKeys to one or more of the checkboxes. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
In a protected form, Spacebar checks and unchecks a check box form field. If
you were using Alt+X to check a box, it may well have been the shortcut key
for a macro. In any case, Word 2003 and above use Alt+X to toggle Unicode
characters.

http://word.mvps.org

"karenbeth24" wrote in message
In Word 2002, I was able to use the keyboard shortcut of Alt+X to check a
checkbox. This no longer works in Word 2007. Is there a new shortcut?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] surajzakaas@gmail.com is offline

On Friday, 8 May 2009 01:23:17 UTC+5:30, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
In a protected form, Spacebar checks and unchecks a check box form field. If
you were using Alt+X to check a box, it may well have been the shortcut key
for a macro. In any case, Word 2003 and above use Alt+X to toggle Unicode
characters.

http://word.mvps.org

"karenbeth24" wrote in message
In Word 2002, I was able to use the keyboard shortcut of Alt+X to check a
checkbox. This no longer works in Word 2007. Is there a new shortcut?

Thanks!

Thanks. This helped a lot.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Shortcut key to check a checkbox

Yes, there is a new shortcut key to check a checkbox in Word 2007 and later versions. Here's how you can do it:
  1. First, make sure that you have a checkbox control inserted in your document. You can do this by going to the Developer tab (if it's not visible, go to File Options Customize Ribbon and select the Developer tab) and clicking on the Checkbox Content Control button.
  2. Once you have a checkbox control inserted, click on it to select it.
  3. Now, to check the checkbox using a keyboard shortcut, press the Spacebar key. This will toggle the checkbox between checked and unchecked states.

That's it! You can now use the Spacebar key as a shortcut to check or uncheck a checkbox control in Word 2007 and later versions.