Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PeterBBailey PeterBBailey is offline

Default Styles in Word 2007

In earlier versions of Word, any style name used was displayed at the top
left of the screen. Now, I see a few styles shown at the top right of the
screen, but, if I'm in a style that's not one of those shown, where do I know
what style it is? Yes, I can right-click and see what it is, but, that's kind
of silly. Why isn't there any easy way to know what style you're in? I work
for a publishing company and we get hundreds of Word documents from the
outside world, and, I need to determine their structure to some degree. It's
frustrating to not be able to see the styles used.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 05:00:02 -0700, PeterBBailey
wrote:

In earlier versions of Word, any style name used was displayed at the top
left of the screen. Now, I see a few styles shown at the top right of the
screen, but, if I'm in a style that's not one of those shown, where do I know
what style it is? Yes, I can right-click and see what it is, but, that's kind
of silly. Why isn't there any easy way to know what style you're in? I work
for a publishing company and we get hundreds of Word documents from the
outside world, and, I need to determine their structure to some degree. It's
frustrating to not be able to see the styles used.
Thanks.

There are several solutions to this, but here's the one I think is the
most elegant: The style dropdown that was on the Formatting toolbar in
earlier versions of Word is still available and can be put on the
Quick Access Toolbar (QAT).

Right-click the QAT and choose Customize. In the dialog, set the
"Choose commands from" box to "Commands not in the Ribbon". Select the
command that says "Style" and has a dropdown icon on the right side.
Click the Add button and click OK.

The toolbar will always show the style at the current insertion point,
and you can use the dropdown to apply another style. To determine what
styles appear in the list and in what order, open the Styles task pane
(Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) and click the Manage Styles button at the bottom.

You might also like the little floating dialog you get by pressing
Ctrl+Shift+S.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:

[...]

Wow! Thanks, Jay. Yes, that's what I need. Now, why isn't that there by
default? Oh well. Both your suggestions are brilliant.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

wrote:
[...]

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt to
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error", and then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hmm, that's a good one. I hadn't seen it before, but I can reproduce
it here. Maybe I should file a report, too?

--
Jay

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:13:03 -0500, "Beth Melton"
wrote:

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt to
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error", and then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
roups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I thought you did, I could have sworn you were part of the previous
discussion about this...

If you'd like to file a bug on it too, it definitely couldn't hurt. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wrote:

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt to
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error", and
then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it. :-)

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
groups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Beth,

Yes that is what I was referring to. The Google Groups here on my PC
wasn't working for two days. That is why I didn't see any or repond
to replies. Thanks.

Greg

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/boo...x#AboutTheBook

Word FAQ:http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax eZine:http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
MVP FAQ site:http://mvps.org/

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message

oups.com...

Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?- Hide quoted text -

Word 2007 Styles Tengu Microsoft Word Help 25 April 5th 09 03:06 PM
Word 2007 Reference Styles Foss Microsoft Word Help 1 March 29th 07 01:11 AM
Styles in Word 2007 Double R New Users 19 March 6th 07 06:21 AM
Word 2007 Styles Chipper Page Layout 2 January 21st 07 08:01 PM
Word 2007 - styles combo-box add-in (Office 2007 COM Add-In UI customization example) Patrick Schmid Microsoft Word Help 9 August 31st 06 11:03 AM