Dannie

Default Red dotted Line under address line how to get rid

I am using Microsoft Word 2003, and am having difficulty in removing a red
dotted line that comes up in my address logo, a red dotted line underscores
my street name, and date. I can't find how to remove it, or in fact where
else to look as I have used the Help feature without success. I would like
to remove it so that it does not show up on my emails. If anyone can help
advise me I'd be greatful.

The action required depends on whether you want to treat the symptom or the
cause:

1. Symptom: On the View tab of Tools | Options, clear the check box for
"Smart tags."

2. Cause: On the Smart Tags tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options, click
"Remove Smart Tags" and answer yes.

"Dannie" wrote in message
I am using Microsoft Word 2003, and am having difficulty in removing a red
dotted line that comes up in my address logo, a red dotted line

underscores
my street name, and date. I can't find how to remove it, or in fact where
else to look as I have used the Help feature without success. I would

like
to remove it so that it does not show up on my emails. If anyone can help
advise me I'd be greatful.

Greg Maxey

Dannie,

You are seeing a purple fine dotted line that represents a "Smart Tag." To
control the display on "your" computer then toggle off "Smarttags" in
ToolsOptionsViewShow. To control how your computer marks SmartTags, see
the "Smart Tags" tab in ToolsAutoCorrect Options.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Dannie wrote:
I am using Microsoft Word 2003, and am having difficulty in removing
a red dotted line that comes up in my address logo, a red dotted line
underscores my street name, and date. I can't find how to remove it,
or in fact where else to look as I have used the Help feature without
success. I would like to remove it so that it does not show up on my
emails. If anyone can help advise me I'd be greatful.

Jay Freedman

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 06:13:04 -0700, Dannie
wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003, and am having difficulty in removing a red
dotted line that comes up in my address logo, a red dotted line underscores
my street name, and date. I can't find how to remove it, or in fact where
else to look as I have used the Help feature without success. I would like
to remove it so that it does not show up on my emails. If anyone can help
advise me I'd be greatful.

Those underlines indicate "smart tags", places where the Office Smart
Tag system has recognized something. When you hover the mouse cursor
over the underlined text, you'll see an i-in-circle icon, and clicking
that will give you a menu of actions you can select. In the case of an
address, for example, you could insert a map.

To turn them off, go to Tools AutoCorrect Options and click the
Smart Tags tab, then clear the checkbox for "Label text with smart
tags". Alternatively, you could just suppress their underlines: Go to
Tools Options, on the View tab, and clear the box for "Smart tags"
in the Show section.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You'll have to ask in an Outlook NG for that.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The action required depends on whether you want to treat the symptom or

the
cause:

1. Symptom: On the View tab of Tools | Options, clear the check box for
"Smart tags."

2. Cause: On the Smart Tags tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options, click
"Remove Smart Tags" and answer yes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.