Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers

Default Margins warning when printing

I've specified a custom page size for my document that is smaller that the US
Letter paper I actually have in my printer. Each time I print the document, I
get the warning, "The margins of section 1 are outside the printable area of the
page." The document actually prints fine on US Letter paper, though I'd prefer
it to be vertically centered on the page. (It's already centered horizontally.)

Googling for this issue has failed to yield a fix, including these two MS KB
articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291336/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224061/

I get the same warning when I print to PDF instead of printing to a real printer.

I'm using Word 2002. Does anybody know how to make this warning go away?

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You can center it vertically via the FilePage SetupLayout menu item.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Scott Meyers" wrote in message
I've specified a custom page size for my document that is smaller that the
US Letter paper I actually have in my printer. Each time I print the
document, I get the warning, "The margins of section 1 are outside the
printable area of the page." The document actually prints fine on US
Letter paper, though I'd prefer it to be vertically centered on the page.
(It's already centered horizontally.)

Googling for this issue has failed to yield a fix, including these two MS
KB articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291336/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224061/

I get the same warning when I print to PDF instead of printing to a real
printer.

I'm using Word 2002. Does anybody know how to make this warning go away?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
You can center it vertically via the FilePage SetupLayout menu item.

This does not appear to have any effect. The page image continues to come out
near the top of my US Letter paper.

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you are printing to letter size paper, why are you specifying a different
size? The vertical alignment is probably be set according to your specified
paper size, not the actual paper size.

--

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
You can center it vertically via the FilePage SetupLayout menu item.

This does not appear to have any effect. The page image continues to come
out near the top of my US Letter paper.

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
If you are printing to letter size paper, why are you specifying a different
size?

I'm writing a book, and its paper size will be smaller than US Letter, but US
Letter paper is all I have for my printer.

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I think you should be leaving the paper size as letter size and set margins
as appropriate to achieve the desired print area on the page.

--

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
If you are printing to letter size paper, why are you specifying a
different size?

I'm writing a book, and its paper size will be smaller than US Letter, but
US Letter paper is all I have for my printer.

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Scott Meyers wrote:

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
If you are printing to letter size paper, why are you specifying a different
size?

I'm writing a book, and its paper size will be smaller than US Letter, but US
Letter paper is all I have for my printer.

Scott

Scott, unless you are self-publishing, the size of the book pages is not
important at the creation stage; the publisher's designer will determine
that. If you are sending the book to a publisher you will need to type
in a clear largish (say 12 point) typeface, with double line spacing and
pretty wide margins, A4 size paper (at least it's A4 in Aust. Suzanne
will confirm the US size). The acquistions editor expects your
manuscript in that form (hardcopy and computer file), and that is how
the editor will work with it. After that, the designer copes with the
transition to the finished page size (which is rarely A4). You first
time you'll become aware of the finished page size is probably when (if)
you get pages to proofread.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

.... as I should have proofread that, *before* sending! G
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Scott Meyers wrote:

For my previous books, I've prepared camera-ready copy for the publisher...

Sorry Scott. I made the faulty assumption that were purely a writer, in
which case my post holds. You are obviously much more directly involved
with the publishing process if you supply camera-ready copy. My
instinct is that for that Word may not be the best platform. There are
some very good publishing packages out there, designed specically for
the technical process of publication. You can import Word documents
into them, and they concenmtrate on such things as image placement, text
flow, margins, running heads and foots and pagination, many of which
Word can do, but not as well I think. When I was briefly involved at
that level, I used Adobe Pagemaker, but that was years ago. It may or
may not have a good reputation now. No doubt others who have it will
comment.

printing & margins SP New Users 1 May 16th 06 01:41 AM
printing portrait margins on landscape page DianeB Page Layout 1 August 5th 05 08:58 PM
bypass "margins set outside print area" warning? Jerry Crosby Page Layout 1 March 2nd 05 08:51 PM
Zoom printing margins changing aspflum Microsoft Word Help 0 January 13th 05 03:21 AM
Printing offset/different page margins on odd and even pages John M Microsoft Word Help 1 December 7th 04 11:17 PM