Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Techwriter II Techwriter II is offline

Default How do I transfer STYLES (only) from a template to a different doc

I have some documents that have already been completed, but the rules were
changed by my customer who wants me to use his developed template. I do not
want to copy and paste. I realize that the margins etc. will probably change
but that I can fix.

Any help would be valuable.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Go to the Organizer (how you do that varies considerably with version
of Word). The styles in the open document are on the left. On the
right side, click "Close" and then "Open" and then find the source
template. Its styles will be listed in the big window above. Select
all the ones you want to copy over and click copy. If some of them
have the same name as styles in your document, then your document will
change to match them. For ones with different names, you'll have to
assign the styles to paragraphs either one by one or by using Find/
Replace.

On Apr 12, 9:25*am, Techwriter II Techwriter
wrote:
I have some documents that have already been completed, but the rules were
changed by my customer who wants me to use his developed template. I do not
want to copy and paste. I realize that the margins etc. will probably change
but that I can fix.

Any help would be valuable.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Techwriter II wrote:
I have some documents that have already been completed, but the rules
were changed by my customer who wants me to use his developed
template. I do not want to copy and paste. I realize that the margins
etc. will probably change but that I can fix.

Any help would be valuable.

One way to update all the styles in a document is discussed at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/UpdateStyles.htm.

Personally, I don't understand the reluctance to use the Organizer. Press
Alt+F8 to open the Macros dialog, and click the Organizer button. (If you
have Word 2007, note that this is not the same as the "Quick Parts
Organizer".) Click the Styles tab of the dialog.

Each side of this dialog has a Close File button that, when you click it,
changes into an Open File button. (Don't click the Close button in the
bottom right corner until you're all done!) Click the Open File button on
one side and choose the document you want to update. Click the Open File
button on the other side and choose the template with the styles you need.

On the template side, select some or all of the styles. Then click the Copy
button, which has an arrow showing the direction the copy will go. Answer
the "are you sure" prompt.

Repeat for the other documents.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Techwriter II wrote:
[...]

How can I transfer my styles into buttons on toolbar? jenniebugs Microsoft Word Help 5 November 15th 06 12:30 PM
AutoListText does not transfer with Template ItsBarbara Microsoft Word Help 4 October 2nd 06 06:35 PM
How to transfer styles used in a document to another? gz New Users 2 November 20th 05 01:55 AM
Template Transfer GR New Users 4 August 30th 05 03:25 PM
How can I transfer a document template to another user? Emily Microsoft Word Help 1 June 16th 05 02:10 AM