jacobk

Default Index Layout problem

I've created an index with 2 columns and a letter heading.
I've modified the index heading style with a font of 24pts.
The problem is, that some letter headings indent on different places and I
can't get it right.
Sample:

A K
Amsterdam Kitchen
Argentinia Know
Krakau
Boston L
Bristol Lawn
Brighton Liverpool
London
C Luton
Charles Lustrum
Chicago

In this sample the letters 'C' and 'L' are indented.
What I try, nothing helps.

Also I have a little problem with the TOC.
The TOC is about 3 pages long, but on the first page it breaks on the half
of the page.

Does anyone know this problem ?
Or has someone a solution for this ?

Thanks for help,

Greetz,

JacobK.

Stefan Blom

Place the cursor in the each of paragraphs with the letters that are
indented. Press CTRL+Q, which resets paragraph formatting to style.
Does that make a difference?

On the other hand, if your problem is with column balance, you
can do the following: On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the
Compatibility tab. Check the option "Don't balance columns for
Continuous section starts", and then click OK.

As for the problem with the table of contents, look for the "Keep with
next" option in the TOC styles (you'll find it on the Line and Page
Breaks tab of FormatParagraph). There is a chance that most (but not
all) TOC styles have this option enabled, which causes odd behavior
(because Word must break the page at some point).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news