Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tsc

Default Unable to connect to Microsoft Office online

I have recently started using Word 2003 which is part of Microsoft Office
Professional Edition 2003. When I open the help pane and do a search I
always see 'Unable to connect to Microsoft Office online'. I have followed
up all the leads I can think of and have Googled for the problem. Nothing
so far has worked.

I'd welcome ideas on what might be causing this problem.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Garard

G'Day TSC,

Since you can Google, your Internet connection is clearly ok.

Check you firewall settings - Word may be a blocked program.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"tsc" wrote in message
I have recently started using Word 2003 which is part of Microsoft Office
Professional Edition 2003. When I open the help pane and do a search I always
see 'Unable to connect to Microsoft Office online'. I have followed up all the
leads I can think of and have Googled for the problem. Nothing so far has
worked.

I'd welcome ideas on what might be causing this problem.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tsc

Pat,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked for this kind of thing before but
it won't harm to do so again. I suspect it must be some setting of mine
which is too aggressive for Word online help and is stopping it functioning.
Everything else is fine. But I am blowed if I can find it. In my Agnitum
Outpost Firewall I have made WinWord.exe a Trusted Application. And I have
also added WinWord.exe as an exception in my Windows Firewall. Do I need to
include anything else?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Garard

G'Day Steve,

The problem is likely with your browser.

Check out the following:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...954441033.aspx (Item 1)
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"tsc" wrote in message
Pat,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked for this kind of thing before but it
won't harm to do so again. I suspect it must be some setting of mine which is
too aggressive for Word online help and is stopping it functioning. Everything
else is fine. But I am blowed if I can find it. In my Agnitum Outpost
Firewall I have made WinWord.exe a Trusted Application. And I have also added
WinWord.exe as an exception in my Windows Firewall. Do I need to include
anything else?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tsc

PaPat Garard" apgarardATbigpondDOTnetDOTau wrote in message
G'Day Steve,

The problem is likely with your browser.

Check out the following:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...954441033.aspx (Item 1)
--

Pat,

Yes, I have followed all the instructions suggest by Microsoft above but I
still cannot get Word Help to go online. The same hold for Outlook too, by
the way. Somewhere, somehow, I have got a setting that is fighting these
programs. But what is it?

Steve