Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
suroora suroora is offline

Default footnotes numbering is wrong

I have a document with footnotes. I've inserted a new footnote right at the
beginning, assuming that the others would be automatically renumbered. The
next one is 2, as it should be, but then it goes back to 1. I've checked for
section breaks and there aren't any. Help!

Suroor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
suroora suroora is offline

Thanks for the tip. I've accepted the changes but the numbering still hasn't
changed. Is there anything else I can do?

"suroora" wrote in message
I have a document with footnotes. I've inserted a new footnote right at

the
beginning, assuming that the others would be automatically renumbered. The
next one is 2, as it should be, but then it goes back to 1. I've checked

for
section breaks and there aren't any. Help!

Suroor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Was the document perhaps converted from WordPerfect? Recent versions of Word
seem to somehow convert WP's footnote numbering to fixed numbering, and the
only solution anyone has found is to recreate the footnotes (copying and
pasting the text of the old ones into new ones created by Word).

Also check the settings in the Footnote dialog to make sure that you're not
restarting numbering in some weird way (on each page, for example) and that
the number format selected is an automatic one and not "custom" numbers.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have Track Changes turned on? If so, numbering (of anything)

won't be
correct until you accept the changes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.