Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erick Erick is offline

Default Automating document using custom properties

Is it possible to use a custom property and fields as a switch to insert one
autotext entry or another?

eg a custom property called "LatePayment". If the value is "Yes" then it
should insert the paragraph stored inthe autoext entry called "Late" but if
the value is "No" then it should insert the autotext entry called "OnTime".

If it is not possible, what is the easiest way to achieve a similar sort of
effect which doesn't involve too much programming. it would be good if the
method allowed lots of these types of things in the same document but did not
necessitate the user making all the choices every time if they only wanted to
change one of them?

I'm not entirely sure what version(s) of Word this will be required for but
it might be 97, 2000 or 2003, so if the method only works on the later
versions could you mention that as well.

Thanks for any help

Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Provided you remember to update the fields when you make a change to the
Document Property then

{ IF { DOCPROPERTY LatePayment \*Upper} = "YES" "{ Autotext Late }" "{
Autotext OnTime }" }

should work

EricK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erick Erick is offline

Thanks!

I thought there must be an easy way to do it but I couldn't work it out.

Now why couldn't I find about DOCPROPERTY when I searched in the help or
online?!

Eric

EricK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Online help certainly has an article on this:

Field codes: DocProperty field
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH061047251033

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

EricK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erick Erick is offline

What I meant was when I did searches for things like "using properties" or
"choosing options based on properties" and so on and so on, none of the pages
which came up mentioned DOCPROPERTY.

The Office Help system is very useful to answer questions like "what does
this function do?" but most questions are of the form "How do I do this?" and
itoften doesn't give me what I want - but that may be because I word my
questions wrong.

Eric

EricK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, if you don't know the technical term, Help is tricky to use. But
that's what this forum is for! :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Provided you remember to update the fields when you make a change to
the
Document Property then

{ IF { DOCPROPERTY LatePayment \*Upper} = "YES" "{ Autotext Late }"
"{
Autotext OnTime }" }

should work