Perplexed in Brooklyn

Default Word 2003 can't select picture editor in tools edit menu or edit p

Installed Office 2003. Tools Options Edit Picture Editor, only shows
"Microsoft Word" as a picture editor choice. This happed on TWO different
machines!!
AND
"Edit Picture" is grayed when I right click on a picture.

HOW do I get ANY picture editor to work with Word 2003? Like maybe the
include Microsoft Office Picture Manager??

Thanks in advance.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UGVycGxleGVkIGluIEJyb29rbHlu?=,

Installed Office 2003. Tools Options Edit Picture Editor, only shows
"Microsoft Word" as a picture editor choice. This happed on TWO different
machines!!
AND
"Edit Picture" is grayed when I right click on a picture.

Well, Word's internal picture editor is the only one available in Office
2003. An earlier version of Office included some kind of Photo editor, but
that's been discontinued. Any other software would have to register itself
as being available as a picture editor, but no manufacturers have chosen to
do so that I know of.

HOW do I get ANY picture editor to work with Word 2003? Like maybe the
include Microsoft Office Picture Manager??

What do you want to do with the pictures?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Perplexed in Brooklyn

You didn't answer why the picture editor is grayed when I right click on any
picture.

And what I would change in the picture could be almost anything a REAL
picture editor would allow me to do NOT a "format picture" choice.

Seems like Microsoft blew it again and didn't address the consumer, but
relied on profits and engineers to udgrade a good product. No more "Picture
Editor" program. Why? No other options? Why?

And if I reload Microsoft Picture Editor 3.02 from Word XP, the "Edit
Picture" option still remains gray. Why?

Thanks.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Perplexed in Brooklyn

Yes!

Microsoft Photo Editor works fine as a standalone program. And is one of the
options in the tool edit menue, but the edit picture option is still grayed
when I right click the picture or graphic.

Does it work for you in Word 2003?

TIA, Perplexed in Brooklyn.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

I have no idea. I don't edit pictures in Word. That's what graphics apps are
for.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you select MS Photo Editor as your default picture editor on the

Edit
tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UGVycGxleGVkIGluIEJyb29rbHlu?=,

You didn't answer why the picture editor is grayed when I right click

on any
picture.

Without more information it's hard to guess. My guess is that Word
doesn't recognize any picture editor as being valid for the graphic
format you're right-clicking.

Word's internal picture editor only works with *.wmf files (ClipArt,
AutoShapes).

And what I would change in the picture could be almost anything a REAL
picture editor would allow me to do NOT a "format picture" choice.

Well, Word isn't a "real" picture editor, so I wouldn't expect that kind
of support in Word. If I want to manipulate a picture, I use a graphics
program. Just as I wouldn't try to write a letter in Excel, or do
calculations in a graphics program.