Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MiLLzZ MiLLzZ is offline

Default How do I add a numbered list AFTER I typed up my entire document?

I am setting up a restaurant menu in MSWord 07 in this type of format

Hamburger......................................$6. 00
basic burger cooked to your liking
House Salad...................................$7.00
Fresh garden vegetables with
your choice of dressing

my whole document is setup like that and what i want to do now is add
numbers to the actual food item and keep the description directly underneath
the food item. If i disable numbered list i can get 1 line of the
description to be indented, but the second line doesn't follow suit....any
ideas? i already have 2 pages of double columns typed out and i really do not
want to re-type the entire document, any ideas would be great, thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You don't have to retype the document, but reformatting it is (largely) a
manual task. The best approach would be to create a numbered style, and a
style with a left indent, and then apply those styles to the appropriate
paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MiLLzZ" wrote in message
I am setting up a restaurant menu in MSWord 07 in this type of format

Hamburger......................................$6. 00
basic burger cooked to your liking
House Salad...................................$7.00
Fresh garden vegetables with
your choice of dressing

my whole document is setup like that and what i want to do now is add
numbers to the actual food item and keep the description directly
underneath
the food item. If i disable numbered list i can get 1 line of the
description to be indented, but the second line doesn't follow suit....any
ideas? i already have 2 pages of double columns typed out and i really do
not
want to re-type the entire document, any ideas would be great, thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Alternatively, you can apply a numbered style with the required hanging
indent. Type the name of the food item, tab to the right-aligned tab stop
with period leader, type the price, insert a line break (Shift+Enter), and
type the description, press Enter to begin a new numbered item.

For an existing list, if the description is a separate paragraph, then it's
just a matter of replacing the paragraph break with a line break, which is
probably no more trouble than applying List Number and List Continue
alternately and has the advantage that the menu item stays in one paragraph,
which can be handled as such (including applying "Keep lines together").

Now if different font formatting is required for the menu item and
description, then it would be preferable to use two different paragraph
styles.

http://word.mvps.org