Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fiance Fiance is offline

Default Infuriating Numbered Lists

Hello,

I have uploaded a small Word file showing an infuriating problem I have
with a numbered list:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/626462/488e1090/sharing.html

For some unknown reason, automatic numbering is "crippled" in only
two places in the whole list. It goes 5.2 then 5.2.3, 5.2.4 etc.
(refusing to produce 5.2.1 first) and it goes 7., then 7.4, 7.5 etc
(refusing to produce 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 first).

I have tried everything (transferring to another file, customizing the
list entry etc) - to no avail.

Please help me to conquer this annoyance so that I know the solution
once and for all - I have had to resort to manual numbering of lists
many times before because of this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Place the cursor at the paragraph numbered 7. In the Customize Outline
Numbered List dialog box, change the "Start at" to "1" for the second
level of numbering. Note that this does not ensure that you won't get
problems with numbering in the future. Actually, problems are to be
expected, unless you set it up carefully using styles as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html .

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fiance" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have uploaded a small Word file showing an infuriating problem I

have
with a numbered list:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/626462/488e1090/sharing.html

For some unknown reason, automatic numbering is "crippled" in only
two places in the whole list. It goes 5.2 then 5.2.3, 5.2.4 etc.
(refusing to produce 5.2.1 first) and it goes 7., then 7.4, 7.5 etc
(refusing to produce 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 first).

I have tried everything (transferring to another file, customizing

the
list entry etc) - to no avail.

Please help me to conquer this annoyance so that I know the solution
once and for all - I have had to resort to manual numbering of lists
many times before because of this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnThePresenter JohnThePresenter is offline

Hi,
Please try selecting the badly-numbered paragraph and using [Right Mouse
Button]-[Bullets And Numbering] and checking the [Restart Numbering] box,
then hit [OK].

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fiance Fiance is offline

Thank you, Stefan, you're a true guru.

I'll be glad to create my numbered lists correctly, however, I often
receive texts with badly hampered numbered lists that I need to work on
as a basis... Thanks for the tip again!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad I could help.

A long-term solution to the "multiple editors mess" is to provide all
editors with a common template, properly set up with numbered styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

ups.com...