Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
vanessa vanessa is offline

Default I am having problems doing a mail merge between word & excel

When I attempt to do a mail merge from excel to word I get as far as select
recipients, I pick the print area of the spreadsheet I'm working with. It
gives me table which is blank and it changes the file name I am working with.
What am I doing wrong
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To be used as a mailmerge data source, I am (99.999%) sure that the first
row in the spreadsheet must contain the field names and that the data must
commence immediately in the next row. It sounds like your data may be
otherwise arranged.

See the article "Creating a Mail Merge Data Source" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Vanessa" wrote in message
When I attempt to do a mail merge from excel to word I get as far as
select
recipients, I pick the print area of the spreadsheet I'm working with. It
gives me table which is blank and it changes the file name I am working
with.
What am I doing wrong

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
challa prabhu challa prabhu is offline

Mr. Doug Robbins is absolutely right.

Note; If you get the field names and data correct, then you can "Define'
your data as "print area" as well as "Define a Name" for your print area.
Either way you will be able associate it to the document for merging.

In your case the data structure is wrong. I tried it and it works.

Challa Prabhu

"Vanessa" wrote in message
When I attempt to do a mail merge from excel to word I get as far as
select
recipients, I pick the print area of the spreadsheet I'm working with. It
gives me table which is blank and it changes the file name I am working
with.
What am I doing wrong

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

How is your data source arranged? From your original post, it sounded like
it might not be correct.

See the article "Mail Merge to Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at

"Vanessa" wrote in message
When I attempt to do a mail merge from excel to word I get as far as
select
recipients, I pick the print area of the spreadsheet I'm working
with. It
gives me table which is blank and it changes the file name I am
working
with.
What am I doing wrong

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
vanessa vanessa is offline

I printed what you recommended and went through the steps. The problem now
is that it is giving me old data. I only print labels once a year and its
giving me label data I printed two years ago. What am I missing?

"Vanessa" wrote in message
When I attempt to do a mail merge from excel to word I get as far as
select
recipients, I pick the print area of the spreadsheet I'm working
with. It
gives me table which is blank and it changes the file name I am
working
with.
What am I doing wrong

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Have a look at the information in the data source that you have selected.
Is it the right data?

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

To be used as a mailmerge data source, I am (99.999%) sure that the
first
row in the spreadsheet must contain the field names and that the
data
must
commence immediately in the next row. It sounds like your data may
be
otherwise arranged.

See the article "Creating a Mail Merge Data Source" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my

"Vanessa" wrote in message
When I attempt to do a mail merge from excel to word I get as far
as
select
recipients, I pick the print area of the spreadsheet I'm working
with. It
gives me table which is blank and it changes the file name I am
working
with.
What am I doing wrong

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
vanessa vanessa is offline

I have several worksheets in this workbook-2 sheets for each year dating back
to 2003. I thought that all I had to do was to set up a print area in a
worksheet and select it when prompted to. But now it appears that it is
selecting the entire workbook. I am so perplexed!

"Vanessa" wrote in message
When I attempt to do a mail merge from excel to word I get as far
as
select
recipients, I pick the print area of the spreadsheet I'm working
with. It
gives me table which is blank and it changes the file name I am
working
with.
What am I doing wrong

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

With the sheet that contains the data that you want to merge as the active
sheet in Exce, from the Edit menu select More of Copy Sheet and in the To
book: control, select (new book), check the Create a copy box and then click
on OK. This will create a new workbook containing just the data that you
want used in the mail merge. Use that new workbook as the data source.