KM1

Default Closing Normal.dot regularly when using a custom template

Is it safe to always close the normal.dot document which always opens when
you start word if you are only going to be using a template you created and
you open from the templates folder for said use. Is this OK to do and does
it help to keep the normal.dot template from being corrupted or should you
just leave normal.dot document under your template as your work. Does it
matter? Any info appreciated
--
KM1

No, there is no harm in closing this blank document, which in fact will be
closed automatically if you open another document. Even without a Blank
Document based on Normal.dot open, Normal.dot is still loaded because it is
a global template, and you need to be aware that any customizations you
create will by default be stored in Normal.dot; if you want them stored in a
specific document template, you have to select it explicitly (in the Macro,
Customize, and AutoText dialogs, for example).

I like to keep a blank document open all the time, and ensure this by typing
one space into it when I start Word, but that is a special circumstance in
my case: when I'm answering NG questions, it helps to have a blank document
open as a scratchpad. Many of Word's commands are not accessible unless
there is a document open, and I use the blank document for testing purposes
and close it without saving at the end of the day.

So it's really up to you. If you close it, you will have one less Taskbar
button to fool with. If you keep it open, you can use it as a scratchpad.

"KM1" wrote in message
Is it safe to always close the normal.dot document which always opens when
you start word if you are only going to be using a template you created

and
you open from the templates folder for said use. Is this OK to do and

does
it help to keep the normal.dot template from being corrupted or should you
just leave normal.dot document under your template as your work. Does it
matter? Any info appreciated
--
KM1

Charles Kenyon

You can close the blank document that is created when you start Word.
Normal.dot is still loaded, though.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.