Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mcp6453

Default Paste Special

Is there a way in Word 2000 to make Paste Special | Unformatted Text the
default paste function? Alternatively, is there a way to put the
function in a toolbar button? I do a lot of cutting and pasting from web
sites, and it is a pain to have to go through multiple clicks to
accomplish the objective. I tried a macro, but I could not get the
syntax correct such that it worked with any text. (The text being cut
was always in the macro, since I used the recording feature.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi,

Here's a macro you can use for pasting unformatted text.

Private Sub PasteUnformattedText()
' The next line is in case there's nothing in the Clipboard
On Error Resume Next
Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText
End Sub

You can attached the macro to a custom button and/or a keyboard shortcut.

Cheers

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Is there a way in Word 2000 to make Paste Special | Unformatted Text the
default paste function? Alternatively, is there a way to put the
function in a toolbar button? I do a lot of cutting and pasting from web
sites, and it is a pain to have to go through multiple clicks to
accomplish the objective. I tried a macro, but I could not get the
syntax correct such that it worked with any text. (The text being cut
was always in the macro, since I used the recording feature.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mcp6453

I created the macro, but it does not show up in the list of macros,
therefore, I cannot run it or add it to a toolbar button. What am I
doing wrong?

"mcp6453" wrote in message

Is there a way in Word 2000 to make Paste Special | Unformatted Text the
default paste function? Alternatively, is there a way to put the
function in a toolbar button? I do a lot of cutting and pasting from web
sites, and it is a pain to have to go through multiple clicks to
accomplish the objective. I tried a macro, but I could not get the
syntax correct such that it worked with any text. (The text being cut
was always in the macro, since I used the recording feature.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Remove the Word "private" at the beginning of the macro's name.

I suspect that, like me, macropod keeps a bunch of these resource macros
around but doesn't want his macro list cluttered with them unless they are
being used. He forgot to trim off the "private" notation.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"mcp6453" wrote in message

Is there a way in Word 2000 to make Paste Special | Unformatted Text the
default paste function? Alternatively, is there a way to put the
function in a toolbar button? I do a lot of cutting and pasting from web
sites, and it is a pain to have to go through multiple clicks to
accomplish the objective. I tried a macro, but I could not get the
syntax correct such that it worked with any text. (The text being cut
was always in the macro, since I used the recording feature.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless you explicitly saved it elsewhere, it's in the NewMacros module, so
when you look in Tools | Customize, you won't be able to see the macro name.
You can try dragging macros to the toolbar until you find the appropriate
one, then rename the button.

"mcp6453" wrote in message

Is there a way in Word 2000 to make Paste Special | Unformatted Text the
default paste function? Alternatively, is there a way to put the
function in a toolbar button? I do a lot of cutting and pasting from web
sites, and it is a pain to have to go through multiple clicks to
accomplish the objective. I tried a macro, but I could not get the
syntax correct such that it worked with any text. (The text being cut
was always in the macro, since I used the recording feature.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Hi Suzanne,

This was a written rather than a recorded macro and with the Private
designation it will not show up in the UI.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unless you explicitly saved it elsewhere, it's in the NewMacros module, so
when you look in Tools | Customize, you won't be able to see the macro
name.
You can try dragging macros to the toolbar until you find the appropriate
one, then rename the button.

so
all may benefit.

"mcp6453" wrote in message

Is there a way in Word 2000 to make Paste Special | Unformatted Text
the
default paste function? Alternatively, is there a way to put the
function in a toolbar button? I do a lot of cutting and pasting from
web
sites, and it is a pain to have to go through multiple clicks to
accomplish the objective. I tried a macro, but I could not get the
syntax correct such that it worked with any text. (The text being cut
was always in the macro, since I used the recording feature.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I just checked and I do have one for paste plain text. It is recorded and so
probably not as efficient as macropod's. As with his, remove the designation
as "private" before using it. (I stole macropod's first line, though because
it is a good idea.)

Private Sub PastePlainText()
'
' PastePlainText Macro
' Macro recorded 3/15/02 by Charles Kyle Kenyon
'
' The next line is in case there's nothing in the Clipboard
On Error Resume Next
Selection.PasteSpecial _
Link:=False, _
DataType:=wdPasteText, _
Placement:=wdInLine, _
DisplayAsIcon:=False

"mcp6453" wrote in message

Is there a way in Word 2000 to make Paste Special | Unformatted Text the
default paste function? Alternatively, is there a way to put the
function in a toolbar button? I do a lot of cutting and pasting from web
sites, and it is a pain to have to go through multiple clicks to
accomplish the objective. I tried a macro, but I could not get the
syntax correct such that it worked with any text. (The text being cut
was always in the macro, since I used the recording feature.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi Charles,

I suspect that, like me, macropod keeps a bunch of these resource macros
around but doesn't want his macro list cluttered with them ...

True.

He forgot to trim off the "private" notation.

Not really - having to manually select the macro each time you want to run
it wouldn't be any quicker than manually using Edit|PasteSpecial|Unformatted
Text, so my expectation was that it would be run from a custom button and/or
a keyboard shortcut, as suggested in my post.

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I meant I thought you forgot to trim the private designation before sending
it out. I have a bunch of useful routines that I have to send out in a
resources module of normal.dot. They are usually in one of my Add-Ins
already but it is easier to find them in normal. I mark them as private so
that I don't see them on the macros list. From the customize toolbar you
can't assign a macro to a toolbar if it is designated private.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"macropod" wrote in message
Hi Charles,

I suspect that, like me, macropod keeps a bunch of these resource macros
around but doesn't want his macro list cluttered with them ...

True.

He forgot to trim off the "private" notation.

Not really - having to manually select the macro each time you want to run
it wouldn't be any quicker than manually using
Edit|PasteSpecial|Unformatted
Text, so my expectation was that it would be run from a custom button
and/or
a keyboard shortcut, as suggested in my post.

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

From the customize toolbar you
can't assign a macro to a toolbar if it is designated private.

Ah, I forgot about that bit - assign then make private.

Cheers