Jim13

Default How do I remove indexing marks"{indexed word}" from displayed text

These don't print and don't enter into the word count, but I'd like to get
rid of them. Once before they went away automatically when I inserted the
completed index. Then they came back after some problems with Word. I'd
like to see more nearly how my copy looks without having to always go to a
form I can't edit. I'm at .
Jim13

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Jim13 wrote:
These don't print and don't enter into the word count, but I'd like
to get rid of them. Once before they went away automatically when I
inserted the completed index. Then they came back after some
problems with Word. I'd like to see more nearly how my copy looks
without having to always go to a form I can't edit. I'm at
.

Hi Jim,

There are so many misunderstandings here, it's hard to know where to begin.

The XE fields that appear as {XE "indexed word"} are formatted as Hidden.
That means you won't see them if the Hidden box and the All box are both
unchecked in Tools Options View.

If those fields are completely removed from the document, the Index field at
the end of the document will display "Error! No index entries found."
instead of an index. So you have to leave the XE fields there, but hidden
from view, to make the index work.

If "a form I can't edit" means the Print Preview screen, be assured that you
*can* edit it. Click the Magnifier button on the toolbar to turn it off, and
then you can edit any part of the document. I wouldn't do that as a regular
habit, but it's ok for small adjustments.

Finally, we don't generally reply to newsgroup posts by email. The idea is
to keep the thread in the public newsgroup so anyone can see and respond.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Thanks very much Jay. I suppose you can guess that I'm not a Word expert. I marked your reply as "helpful," tried it and found that it worked. I had hoped I'd find out in my Email when an answer had arrived.

All the best, Jim13