G.Greich

Default Problem with mail merge from Excel sheet to Word, HELP?

I have set up an Excel sheet containing data for student reports consisting
of a diamond character from wingdings2 font set. The purpose of it is to
place a mark on a progress bar in a Word file that I have set up specifically
for it. However when I do the mail merge, the merge fields corresponding to
empty cells in the Excel sheet show a wierd character (a square) instead of
nothing or a blank. Also, I noticed that some of the fields disappear
completely. I am using Office 2003 on an XP SP2 platform. Does anyone have an
idea about the cause of my misery? The reports are due very soon!!!!!