Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar[_2_] Gordon Biggar[_2_] is offline

Default Placing of page numbers on the page

I am using Office 2000 (still). When I go the route of Insert\Page Numbers,
and then select upper page\right, the page numbers print out in the upper
left-hand corner instead. I am using column text on the pages. Might this
have something to do with the placement? I know that I can physically go
into the headers and change the location, but why is Word ignoring my
request?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is strange. Can you reproduce it in a new, blank document (with or
without columns), or does it only happen in one particular document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message
I am using Office 2000 (still). When I go the route of Insert\Page
Numbers, and then select upper page\right, the page numbers print out in
the upper left-hand corner instead. I am using column text on the pages.
Might this have something to do with the placement? I know that I can
physically go into the headers and change the location, but why is Word
ignoring my request?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar[_2_] Gordon Biggar[_2_] is offline

Excellent question (I should have thought of that). I created a new
document without columns, and the inserted page numbers appeared where they
are supposed to appear (upper right-hand corner). I then formatted the
blank document for two columns and inserted page numbers - correct placement
again. Obviously, there must be something unique to the document with which
I am working that will not permit the placing of page numbers in the upper
right-hand corner. I might try opening the header on the first page with
page numbers (page two), force a move to the right, to see if that affects
the subsequent pages.

Very strange.

GB

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
This is strange. Can you reproduce it in a new, blank document (with or
without columns), or does it only happen in one particular document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message
I am using Office 2000 (still). When I go the route of Insert\Page
Numbers, and then select upper page\right, the page numbers print out in
the upper left-hand corner instead. I am using column text on the pages.
Might this have something to do with the placement? I know that I can
physically go into the headers and change the location, but why is Word
ignoring my request?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Since the issue cannot be reproduced, it's reasonable to suspect some sort
of corruption in the affected document.

Try the following to get rid of the corruption: Delete all section breaks in
the document and then copy the contents, except for the final paragraph mark
(¶), into a new document. For more on corrupt documents, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

To show/hide paragraph marks as well as other nonprinting marks, press
Ctrl+Shift+8.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar[_2_] Gordon Biggar[_2_] is offline

What I tried, which worked, was to open the header on page two, highlight
the page number, and do a right alignment. This shifted all of the other
page numbers, as well.

Thanks for your inputs, because they gave me some avenues to explore.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, I'm glad you got it sorted, but note that treating the document as
corrupt is a security measure. Although we don't know for certain what
happened, if it *was* in fact corruption, it may grow worse over time.