K Zany

Default Do table styles work?

I am trying to use the new table styles feature in Word in a template.
However, I cannot get table styles to work properly, especially in regard to
applying an indent to an entire table. Do table styles actually work, or is
this new feature too buggy/unstable to use?
Shauna Kelly

Hi

I think one of the problems with Table Styles is that Microsoft hasn't
documented how they are supposed to work, and in particular, there is no
documentation on how Table Styles work with Paragraph and Character styles.

So Table Styles may work well, which is to say they may do what they were
designed to do. But MS hasn't documented what they were supposed to do, and
users can't therefore work out what is buggy and what is not.

It's a pity, because table styles should be very useful.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"K Zany" K wrote in message
I am trying to use the new table styles feature in Word in a template.
However, I cannot get table styles to work properly, especially in regard
applying an indent to an entire table. Do table styles actually work, or
is
this new feature too buggy/unstable to use?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SyBaYW55?=,

I am trying to use the new table styles feature in Word in a template.
However, I cannot get table styles to work properly, especially in regard to
applying an indent to an entire table. Do table styles actually work, or is
this new feature too buggy/unstable to use?

They work, but they don't necessarily do everything we might wish or expect.
Basically, a TableStyle is a user-defined Table AutoFormat, with a couple of
features added on.

As a quick test, I can see what you mean about the indent. BUT if I go back and
change it again, it does seem to stick. (Word 2003)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)