Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Samuel Bill Samuel is offline

Default Word 2003 - Getting measurement units change to stick

I'm frustrated because Word 2003 likes to show measurement units in points.
I can change it to inches, but the change only works for the document. I
have not been able to figure any way to get it to really change for the
program. I don't like having to change it for every document. Is there any
way to make this change stick?

NOTES: This is not about Word XP. It's not about character units. I have
searched the forum, and there seem to be a number of instances of asking this
question, with answers that don't apply to points in Word 2003 but rather to
one of the above. Some just give a link, but the link is never relevant to
this situation. Does anyone actually know a way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

If you set it in your Normal.dot that should assist.
Go to Tools Options General tab and change
Measurement Units: Inches
THEN go to SAVE tab and
Check box "Prompt to Save Normal Template"

This means all changes you make to Normal.dot will ask you save on exit from
Word? Say "YES" if you don't the setting "inches" will not be default.
You should then see all your tab settings in Inches not Points.

Hope this helps.

"Bill Samuel" wrote in message
news
I'm frustrated because Word 2003 likes to show measurement units in
points.
I can change it to inches, but the change only works for the document. I
have not been able to figure any way to get it to really change for the
program. I don't like having to change it for every document. Is there
any
way to make this change stick?

NOTES: This is not about Word XP. It's not about character units. I
have
searched the forum, and there seem to be a number of instances of asking
this
question, with answers that don't apply to points in Word 2003 but rather
one of the above. Some just give a link, but the link is never relevant
this situation. Does anyone actually know a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Options settings are stored in the Registry, not in Normal.dot. If they're
not being saved, it's possible the Data key is damaged (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm for instructions on
rebuilding it), but often the problem is caused by a poorly written add-in
that unintentionally changes the settings.

"Summer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are sure that the problem is not the character unit issue, then Word
2003 has a problem in that it randomly loses some settings stored in the
Word Data key in the registry. Various causes have been mooted, the most
popular being interaction from a poorly written add-in, but the cause has
not been positively identified. If the problem persists, you can fix it by
adding the line

Options.MeasurementUnit = wdInches

to both an autoopen and an autonew macro which will force the use of inches
for each document (though not if the problem is character units) - see the
examples at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm