Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AA2e72E AA2e72E is offline

Default Word 2007

How can I make the settings in Word Options | Display | Always show these
formatting marks on the screen permanent i.e. appicable to all existing
documents that I open in future and applicable to documents I create in the
current and future instances of Word?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The settings you are referring to should be global. Try closing all
documents but one, and then setting the desired options. Do they now stick?
If not, you may need to delete the Data key in the registry; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"AA2e72E" wrote in message
How can I make the settings in Word Options | Display | Always show these
formatting marks on the screen permanent i.e. appicable to all existing
documents that I open in future and applicable to documents I create in
the
current and future instances of Word?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you're referring to non-printing
characters (¶) listed in the "Always show these formatting marks on screen"
section, the setting is an application feature that need only be turned
on/off by clicking the button on the Home tab of the Ribbon (or keying
Ctrl+*). You need only have a check in the box for "Show All Formatting
Marks" - none of the others should be checked. Once the non-printing
characters are turned they remain turned on no matter what document you have
open. IOW, it isn't document-specific.

If you _do_ check the individual boxes, those respective formatting
characters remain displayed even if the ¶ button is clicked off. These
settings should also remain in effect until you change them. If you're
saying that the settings aren't being retained, it may be necessary to edit
a Registry Key, but I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable on the
subject - it's a "Windows" thing:-)

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/23/07 8:28 AM, in article
, "AA2e72E"
wrote:

How can I make the settings in Word Options | Display | Always show these
formatting marks on the screen permanent i.e. appicable to all existing
documents that I open in future and applicable to documents I create in the
current and future instances of Word?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AA2e72E AA2e72E is offline

Thanks; it does stick.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"AA2e72E" wrote in message