Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rita''s Water Ice Rita''s Water Ice is offline

Default Continuous Sections, Page Breaks and Page Numbering

I am creating an Operations Manual using section continuous and page breaks.
When i merged multiple files together I deleted and reinserted the Page X of
Y in the foorter and the following problems occured: 1) the second documnet
restarted the page numbering at 1 and never incremented more than 2; 2) the
total number of pages was reset to one more than the first section; and 3)
the numbered lists within the the multiple documents started incorrect number
i.e. the first number was wrong (not 1) but the others were OK (2 - X).

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

When I encounter problems with page numbering associated with section
breaks, I start removing section breaks until I get them all out of the
document. Then I start putting them back in starting at the end of the
document and working forward. I only put in the section breaks necessary
to formatting the document the way I want. For instance, if I change
from Portrait to Landscape, I put in a Next Page Section Break at the
end of the page before the Landscape section. Then I will change the
formatting of the following section to reflect Landscape.

Where ever possible I put in Next Page Section breaks rather than
continuous section breaks. The continuous ones are only necessary if you
are changing the layout within the page itself. For instance if you
change the margins from one size to another on the same page. Or you
need to add columns to the page. Continuous section breaks are the most
difficult section breaks to work with because they affect your page
numbering, but it is difficult to adjust the numbering in the section
itself.

Good Luck.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Rita''s Water Ice" wrote in
message :

I am creating an Operations Manual using section continuous and page breaks.
When i merged multiple files together I deleted and reinserted the Page X of
Y in the foorter and the following problems occured: 1) the second documnet
restarted the page numbering at 1 and never incremented more than 2; 2) the
total number of pages was reset to one more than the first section; and 3)
the numbered lists within the the multiple documents started incorrect number
i.e. the first number was wrong (not 1) but the others were OK (2 - X).

Any suggestions?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12/17/2007 2:13 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

A different approach when dealing with continuous sections is to temporarily
insert page breaks so that you can see all headers and footers. Then you can
access the Page Number Format dialog box (via the Header and Footer toolbar
for Word 2003, or via the Header & Footer Tools ribbon, Page Number button,
Format Page Numbers command, for Word 2007).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Peter Petkovic Peter Petkovic is offline
Junior Member

Location: Canberra, Australia

Several posts refer to this problem, which I have also, in Word 2002. There doesn't seem to be an adequate solution.

Page numbering in the footer in section 1 of a single column document is fine up to and including a page that has a two column section bounded at each end by 'Section Break (Continuous)'. In my case this page is '65' (consisting of section 1 at the beginning, section 2 for the 2-column part & section 3 thereafter). The page immediately following this (i.e. page 66) is given as '2' in the footer.

The Page Number Format dialog specifies "Continue from previous section" throughout.

What is the fix? What am I missing? Any advice appreciated.