Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Default Table captions using STYLEREF and SEQ fields?

I'm trying to understand what the author did in a document I'm working with.
I'm using Word 2002; I don't know what version was used to create the
document. The table caption is "TABLE 1.2-1". In the text preceding, the
Table reference is "Table 2.2-1". When I toggle field codes, I get
{STYLEREF 2 \s }-{SEQ Table \* ARABIC \s 2}

A couple of questions:
(1) My Word Help doesn't show a \s switch for the STYLEREF field. With the
SEQ field, it restarts the numbering. Does it work the same way in the
STYLEREF field?
(2) The "2" is apparently the style the field is looking for. I have a
"Style2" in the doc - is this the one? If so, the field isn't picking up
the right text.
(3) Where does the "\* ARABIC" come in with the SEQ field? It's not
mentioned in the Help topic.
(4) I checked (using a macro) and there are no bookmarks anywhere around
this SEQ field. Supposedly this Table caption is supposed to refer back to
the mention of the table in the text immediately preceding, yes? But it's
giving the wrong text. Is there any way I can find what's being referred to
here? Or is it "orphaned", and that's why it's giving me the wrong
reference?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. For STYLEREF, the \s switch includes numbering but omits any text
included in the numbering format. For example, if it references an
Article I paragraph, only the Roman numeral will be displayed.

2. The "2" refers to the built-in second-level heading. In English
language versions of Word, this is the Heading 2 style.

3. \* ARABIC is a general switch; it formats numbers as Arabic. When
creating SEQ fields manually, this switch can be omitted, since the 1,
2, 3, ... number format is the default for SEQ fields.

4. Cross-references in Word use REF fields. If you are not seeing a
REF field when you toggle field codes, the reference was typed in. You
can create a proper cross-reference via Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference.

Note that table captions can be inserted via Insert | Reference |
Caption; then Word adds the required SEQ fields (and STYLEREF fields,
too, depending on the chosen number format).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]