Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sul@Microsoft Sul@Microsoft is offline

Default kerning & Tracking

Can Word XP format a doc so that there is One Space between letters (of a
word) and Two space between words ?

The quick brown fox becomes

T h e q u i c k b r o w n f o x b e c o m e s

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't have that version of Word anymore... but, have you looked at the
font spacing settings? They might give you what you want. Assuming Word
2002 works the same as Word 2003, select the text and try Format - Font -
Character Spacing tab. Set Spacing: to Expanded. By: set at 1pt appears to
provide something similar to what you describe... you might want to
experiment with larger By: values.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Sul@Microsoft" wrote in message
Can Word XP format a doc so that there is One Space between letters (of a
word) and Two space between words ?

The quick brown fox becomes

T h e q u i c k b r o w n f o x b e c o m e s

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sul@microsoft sul@microsoft is offline

thanks for quick reply
not actually what I am looking for though

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
I don't have that version of Word anymore... but, have you looked at the
font spacing settings? They might give you what you want. Assuming Word
2002 works the same as Word 2003, select the text and try Format - Font -
Character Spacing tab. Set Spacing: to Expanded. By: set at 1pt appears to
provide something similar to what you describe... you might want to
experiment with larger By: values.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Sul@Microsoft" wrote in message
Can Word XP format a doc so that there is One Space between letters (of a
word) and Two space between words ?

The quick brown fox becomes

T h e q u i c k b r o w n f o x b e c o m e s

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 22:37:04 +0700, "Sul@Microsoft" wrote:

Can Word XP format a doc so that there is One Space between letters (of a
word) and Two space between words ?

The quick brown fox becomes

T h e q u i c k b r o w n f o x b e c o m e s

This has nothing to do with kerning (which Word does automatically), but it is
tracking (which Word calls "spacing"). Select the text, go to Format Font
Character Spacing and set the Spacing boxes to Expanded and some number of
points, for example 6 pt (note that in proportional fonts there is no fixed size
for "one space").

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well... for precisely what you're looking for, you could use Find/Replace
and actually insert spaces. However, you then lose the ability to use
spelling and some other features, since Word will no longer recognize the
words. But, since you specified "format", the only formatting control that
Word has that is similar to what you asked for is what I described. If you
experimented using various By: values, I'm surprised that you didn't find
what you wanted. I tried it here and was able to generate something that was
extremely close to what you get when manually adding spaces between letters
and words.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sul@microsoft sul@microsoft is offline

my apologies for using the word "format"
WYSIWYG
your method works but what I require is an actual space

t1h1e11q1u1i1c1k where 1 = actual space
(reason for asking whether this exists; trying to post a message to a forum
but the forum bans the use of certain words and I figure the way to beat it
is to insert a space between letters of a word and 2 space between words)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sul@microsoft sul@microsoft is offline

I am been trying to understand what is kerning and tracking
your method works but this is not what I am looking for
thanks

wrote:

Can Word XP format a doc so that there is One Space between letters (of a
word) and Two space between words ?

The quick brown fox becomes

T h e q u i c k b r o w n f o x b e c o m e s

This has nothing to do with kerning (which Word does automatically), but
it is
tracking (which Word calls "spacing"). Select the text, go to Format
Font
Character Spacing and set the Spacing boxes to Expanded and some number of
points, for example 6 pt (note that in proportional fonts there is no
fixed size
for "one space").

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Are these always the same words? If so, you can create the words with the
spaces manually once and save each as an AutoText entry. You could get
AutoCorrect to automatically change the words too, but that would be a
problem if you didn't want the words spaced at any time.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter-spacing

for comprehensive explanations.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote:

Can Word XP format a doc so that there is One Space between letters (of a
word) and Two space between words ?

The quick brown fox becomes

T h e q u i c k b r o w n f o x b e c o m e s

This has nothing to do with kerning (which Word does automatically), but
it is
tracking (which Word calls "spacing"). Select the text, go to Format
Font
Character Spacing and set the Spacing boxes to Expanded and some number
of
points, for example 6 pt (note that in proportional fonts there is no
fixed size
for "one space").

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Based on the other branch of this thread, the real objective is neither kerning
nor letter spacing -- it is to insert real space characters in order to make the
words unrecognizable to forum software. You could just as well use other
characters such as underscores instead of spaces. That is not formatting, it's
text editing or modification.

As Terry suggested, if the words you want to modify are always the same ones,
use AutoText or AutoCorrect. If you want to be able to change any selected text,
use this macro, which you can assign to a shortcut or toolbar button:

Sub InsertSpaces()
Dim sIn As String, sOut As String
Dim i As Integer

sIn = Selection.Text
For i = 1 To Len(sIn)
sOut = sOut & Mid$(sIn, i, 1) & " "
Next

Selection.Text = sOut
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm,
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm, and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToToolbar.htm if
needed.

You might also look into using ROT13, a common way of "hiding" text in posts
(it's built into some posting software): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rot13 and
http://www.google.com/search?q=rot13.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

Can Word XP format a doc so that there is One Space between letters (of a
word) and Two space between words ?

The quick brown fox becomes

T h e q u i c k b r o w n f o x b e c o m e s

This has nothing to do with kerning (which Word does automatically), but
it is
tracking (which Word calls "spacing"). Select the text, go to Format
Font
Character Spacing and set the Spacing boxes to Expanded and some number
of
points, for example 6 pt (note that in proportional fonts there is no
fixed size
for "one space").

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sul@microsoft sul@microsoft is offline

thanks and will try the macro

wrote:

Can Word XP format a doc so that there is One Space between letters (of
word) and Two space between words ?

The quick brown fox becomes

T h e q u i c k b r o w n f o x b e c o m e s

This has nothing to do with kerning (which Word does automatically),
but
it is
tracking (which Word calls "spacing"). Select the text, go to Format
Font
Character Spacing and set the Spacing boxes to Expanded and some number
of
points, for example 6 pt (note that in proportional fonts there is no
fixed size
for "one space").

Good value for kerning size Joel Parker New Users 1 October 31st 07 08:35 PM
kerning Vicky Microsoft Word Help 6 November 28th 06 09:56 AM
Kerning problem in Word Documents akkrug New Users 3 January 23rd 06 12:20 PM
How does kerning work? Peter Olcott Page Layout 6 December 13th 05 01:37 AM
Kerning Question mike New Users 5 February 23rd 05 03:41 AM