Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zoeshaus Zoeshaus is offline

Default seaching for normal.dotm

I am trying to resolve a problem by deleting normal.dotm. To do this I have
to find it. When I click start, search, all files and folders, the box where
I type in the filename does not appear. Nothing happens. I cannot figure out
what I am doing wrong or where to go from here.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure what could have happened to the Find utility in Windows. You
may want to ask about this in a Windows newsgroup.

You can do the following to display the Templates folder for Office: Click
Start | Run. Type

%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

and press Enter. Be sure to exit Word and then delete normal.dotm or rename
it (which will be safer).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Zoeshaus" wrote in message
I am trying to resolve a problem by deleting normal.dotm. To do this I have
to find it. When I click start, search, all files and folders, the box
where
I type in the filename does not appear. Nothing happens. I cannot figure
out
what I am doing wrong or where to go from here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The folder where Word keeps its templates is a Hidden folder. By default,
Windows Explorer (the "Computer" or "My Computer" program) won't find or
display anything in Hidden folders, so you have to whack it with a clue
stick.

The quick way is to use a special "environment variable" in the address bar
of Explorer (or in the Search box of the Start menu in Vista or Windows 7),

%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

You can just paste that in and press Enter to be taken to the right folder.

The longer but more permanent way is to open the Explorer program and press
Alt+T and then O to open the Folder Options dialog. Click the View tab, and
then click the "Show hidden files and folders" option. (It's also a good
idea to uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option; this
helps to reduce confusion among similarly named files.) Now you can navigate
to the Templates folder, which is

(in Windows XP)
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

(in Vista or Windows 7)
C:\Users\your name\AppData\ Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Zoeshaus wrote:
I am trying to resolve a problem by deleting normal.dotm. To do this
I have to find it. When I click start, search, all files and folders,
the box where I type in the filename does not appear. Nothing
happens. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong or where to go
from here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Zoeshaus wrote:
I am trying to resolve a problem by deleting normal.dotm. To do this
I have to find it. When I click start, search, all files and folders,
the box where I type in the filename does not appear. Nothing
happens. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong or where to go
from here.

Normal.dotm Again Santa Microsoft Word Help 1 January 2nd 10 12:42 PM
Normal.dotm and NormalEmail.dotm John Mailmerge 4 February 18th 09 03:38 PM
Normal.dotm Ed K Microsoft Word Help 1 December 16th 08 03:31 AM
Normal.dotm andrswal Microsoft Word Help 2 May 30th 08 03:21 PM
Convert normal.dot in W2000 to normal.dotm in W2007 Why did I update Microsoft Word Help 3 August 8th 07 09:42 PM