Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob_R

Default CGM insertion

When I insert a CGM file in a document first it does not appear. If I left
click and select Edit Picture part of it will appear but a lot of the file is
missing. Files made in previous versions of Word also are missing parts that
were originally in the picture.

Is there somthing I'm missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Bob:

Yep... You're missing a graphics application that will convert those CGMs to
nice compact EMFs...

Seriously: There has been a security patch recently that has made graphics
files harder to get hold of in Word. I suspect that is what is affecting
you.

You should also note that CGM is a very flexible standard. There are three
"levels", and companies can add their own private embellishments.
Regrettably, there is no official "standard" that can be described as a
minimum, and many companies do not implement the "suggested" minimum anyway.

You should also be aware that CGM files can be VERY large and
information-dense. Desktop applications such as Word are unlikely to have
sufficient performance to handle the big ones.

Sorry...

On 16/3/06 8:50 AM, in article
, "Bob_R"
wrote:

When I insert a CGM file in a document first it does not appear. If I left
click and select Edit Picture part of it will appear but a lot of the file is
missing. Files made in previous versions of Word also are missing parts that
were originally in the picture.

Is there somthing I'm missing?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410